The Vampires Pet - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Unlike all the myths of vampires turning to dust after a staking or holy water burning us, the only one true myth the vermin got right was the fact that we couldn't enter holy ground. Well we could, but we didn't. Entering holy ground reminded us of our sins, of whom we killed, and of our actions. It might not sound like it was anything special, but the flashes of our sins, even the most evil of vampires, made us feel so ashamed of what we were. 

Immortal beings that drank human blood. 

Oh and the younger we were the less time in the sun we could stand. It had something to do with our genetics. We'd burn but we wouldn't exactly set on fire. Think of it as a really fair skinned person going out into sweltering heat. They burn easy. That's what we do directly in sunlight so we have to toughen our skins up. And it takes years and years of acheiving it. 

It had been three weeks since the passing of Marcus and Alegra. Their bodies had finally been released so we were free to bury them, and Erica could finally say goodbye.

Since we couldn't bury them in a church, we let Erica decide on the place, as all vampire families did.

She decided she wanted them buried on the hill where they went for midnight picnic's as a family. 

Already I had two plots combined made for them. Erica said she wanted everything to be pink. But I couldn't see my good friend Marcus being buried in a pink coffin. So we came to an agreement that Erica and Hallie could choose things for Alegra and I'd choose for Marcus. 

Thank God Hallie steered Erica away from hot pink. 

As the car pulled to a stop, unable to go any further, I could see vampires making their way along the road and up on the hills. Chairs were set out in rows for the people coming and already Alegra and Marcus were in their coffins, side by side, as they should be.

I stepped out of the car, followed by Hallie and Erica, the little girls hand gripping Hallie's soft hands. A tear slipped down Hallie's cheek and I just couldn't understand her compassion - Especially after she knew that all the vampires here treat humans as animals. As vermin. 

... And yet she mourned, just as Erica and I were mourning. 

I began leading them along the road, other vampires nodding at us in agreement, their faces full of sorrow for the little girl who lost her parents. Yet I didn't miss the look of distaste as they saw Hallie holding the girls hand. 

There was nothing special here. Just a small park for human children to play on. But I must admit that as we climbed up the hill, the view was pretty amazing. Especially on this starry night. 

No wind blew a chill. The stars seemed to shine brighter than I'd ever seen them. And the moon was a creasent phase, beautiful, bright and mysterious. I'd never really looked at the sky before. But since Hallie came into my life, I was seeing beauty in the most simple of things. 

"Sebastian," A friend of mine nodded as we approached the chairs that people had filled, three seats at the front saved for us. 

"Malford," I nodded back. 

"I'm so sorry for your loss." Malford commented, yet I didn't really take interest. I just nodded and lead Erica and Hallie to our seats. 

Hallie sat at the end so I took the other with Erica sitting between us holding her pink backpack. 

I looked across at the view with awe. The lights in the city shined like the stars, and the open sea that stretched beyone the city reflected the stars in the sky. It was a magnificent place to bury such pure hearted vampires.