White Raven

Hello, everyone! I did this short story for English class (the very last writing piece that gets to be creative for a grade), and I thought I'd share it with you all. It had a 3-5 page limit, so it was pretty difficult to write. I had to start over like 6 times because I knew that I'd exceed the limit. Two out of the three people who read it during class story-sharing said that they liked it, and one of my friends liked it as well. Melbele Kaitlin_DSouza xhaileyclarkx CloudKitten04 -Camo- LpsChick forever_writing_26 , you all may enjoy my story.

I was hoping for it to connect to my novel, Mirror (which you should check out if you like this!), and it is... sorta. It is supposed to be the time after Blood and the Storms' revenge and all that stuff.

Well, enjoy!

Rime was unceremoniously dumped onto frosty cobblestone, and her suitcase nearly took off her head as it flew past her. The black-iron gate slammed shut behind her.

"Now, run along, missy. There's no more business here for you," one of the soldiers said, making a 'shoo' motion with his hands. Rime got to her feet in a huff.

"How dare you treat me like this, you barbaric imbecile!?" she said furiously, shaking the heavy bars in her frost-bitten hands. "Open this back up right now!" But, already, they were turning away, marching back up the polished, ice-paved stone in a rigid formation.

"Well! I'll get along just fine on my own! I don't need any of you, and you can tell Queen Taiga that she won't be seeing anymore of me!" She snatched up her suitcase and stormed down the street, ignoring puzzled glances. I don't need anyone. Feathery snowflakes clung to her long, silver-blonde hair that whipped in the gathering wind. A few people squinted at her, trying to figure out where they'd seen her before, but most people just shoved past her. Nobody recognizes me, she thought, and like naïve lemmings they'll just as blindly follow that Princess Glacia just because she's wearing my dresses and my crown!

And then, they weight of what had happened hit her like a shock. Now, she knew why her mothe- no, Queen Taiga had never truly loved her. She had always watched Rime through a wall of disapproval, her eyes frosty. Rime had only been a temporary replacement until the real princess was safe. For the first time in her entire life, she was utterly alone.

She tore across the bridge, past merchants and common-people. She was one of them now. She ran even when her breath came out in ragged gasps from the frigid air.

Then, like being wrenched out of freezing water, someone cannoned into her, sending her skidding across the snowy cobblestone. Gold coins flew everywhere, clattering against the stone. Dizzily, she sat up, everything coming into focus. Her cloak had been ripped, and cold air rushed in to lap at her exposed arms.

"Thief!" someone shouted. Rime turned and saw a girl close to her own age crouching to scoop up as much gold as she could, stuffing it in her pockets. A man with a shiny head and a small mustache shook his fist as he burst out of a jewelry shop, and he bellowed at the girl, reaching out to grab her. The girl rolled to the right, leapt to his feet, and was off like a shot.

"She pushed me!" Rime said defiantly, gathering her torn cloak.

"You're in cahoots with her, I'll bet," the man snarled in her face. He may have had a lot of money, but he certainly didn't spend it on tic-tacs. "Those bracelets, you stole them from my shop, I reckon!" Another man, a cop, no doubt, sidled onto the scene, riding a proud, brown stallion. Passerby stopped to watch.