The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 39

Kay guys . . . this is a REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY sad chapter. If I were you, I would just avoid the situation that's about to happen. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Aimee

In the end, everything worked out for Chastity. She moved back into their house a couple of weeks ago, so now Ethan and Aila were the only babies in the house, and I kind of liked it that way. My parents thought they were beautiful, and were even trying to work from home more often so they could help with the babies.

It almost felt like we were a whole family again.

Sadie was estactic too. A couple days ago a couple called and told her they had seen her ad in the paper, and were interested in adopting her baby, who is yet to be named. They agreed for a closed adoption, and were coming to pick up the baby a few days from now. 

It felt good to have everything working out again.

Too bad there's such thing as jinxing it.

                                                          *                                  *                              *

I checked the clock. 11:57 p.m. Damn, it was almost midnight. I grabbed the remote and flicked off the TV where I had been watching late-night reruns of Jersey Shore. I stepped up the stairs slowly, trying not to echo the noise in my cavernous home. I hated feeling alone. 

After brushing my teeth I stepped into Ethan and Aila's room. We had it professionally painted, so on Aila's side of the room the ivory walls were covered in butterflies, candy and flowers. Girl things. But on Ethan's side, the wall was decorated with trucks and  sports equipment. Typical guy stuff.

I walked over to Aila and leaned over so I could plant a kiss on her small forehead. She was so cute when she slept. Her eyes were squeezed shut and her hands clenched in tiny fists. Plus, she never moved. She stayed in the same place the entire time, not moving a muscle until she was awoken.

Ethan was more of a flopper. He enjoyed rolling around in bed, and I often had to turn him over because sometimes I would find him flat on his stomach. Which was the position he was in when I crossed the room to his side, except today was different. Usually his hands were clenced, but now they were loose and flat on his sides. I carefully rolled him over, and he didn't stir, when usually he would. His head simply flopped to the side, lolling on his neck.

Something was really wrong.

"Mom!" I yelled, hoping my mother would here me from her office, where she was working on some report.

"Yes?" I heard her footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Something's wrong with Ethan." I scooped him out of the crib and showed him to my mother. Her hand immediatley went to his tiny chest, putting a hand over his heart. She frowned, and then moved her fingers to his neck, feeling for a pulse.

"His pulse is really slow. We need to get him to the hospital. Now." She said, flying down the hall and down the stairs. I followed close behind her, cradling Ethan. 

"Tom! We're going to hospital. Something's wrong with Ethan. Stay here and watch Aila." My mother instructed, and my dad poked his head out of the office.

"What's wrong?" He asked urgently.

"I can barely feel a pulse, Tom. We're leaving now." My mother sounded worried, which scared me to death. I hugged Ethan close to me.

What was wrong with him? Why can't my mother feel a pulse?

Questions flew through my mind on the way to the hospital, and I'm sure that if I chewed my lip anymore it was fall off. No words were spoken to me and my mother, both of us focused on different things.