Chapter 20 - "I need you to stay."

Picture of Olivia.

--------------------------------------------

Olivia's point of view

"You tired yet, kiddo?" Niall asked and leaned forward to look at Jayden.

The sleepy five year old was lying across from us in the couch, arm hanging down over the edge where all of his toys were spread out. Jayden's head snapped up and he shot Niall a look.

"No. I want to stay up until dad comes home."

"That's going to take a while." Niall said. "I think you're supposed to spend the night here."

"Isn't dad coming to pick me up?" Jayden asked and the look he gave Niall broke my heart. He looked so sad.

"I don't think either of our parents are coming home tonight."

"But I don't want to stay here." Jayden whined.

"You've got your toys and pj's. What else do you need? A sippy cup?"

"Niall." I mumbled and nudged my arm in his stomach.

"He's impossible to deal with!" He said and looked at me.

I shook off his arm from my shoulders and crawled over to Jayden.

"Okay, here's what we're doing. Niall and I are going to stay in your room until you fall asleep and tomorrow we can watch all episodes of Spongebob. Sounds good?"

"Wait, I didn't agree to this!"

I shushed Niall and looked back at Jayden.

"Yeah?" I said.

He slowly nodded and sat up. I smiled and ruffled his hair.

"Go brush your teeth."

He nodded again and disappeared to the bathroom. I turned around to Niall with a proud smile on my lips.

"Impossible to deal with, huh?"

"Shut up." He muttered and threw a pillow in my face. "You're just a natural parent."

Niall stood up and went to help Jayden brush his teeth. I checked my phone quickly, replying in our group chat where they were talking about the London trip we're going on in two weeks. I then placed my phone on the coffee table and headed towards the bathroom. I could hear how frustrated Niall was on the other side of the door. I opened it and saw him standing between Jayden's legs. Jayden was sitting on the sink and Niall had one hand cupping his face and was brushing his teeth with the other. That bad boy image Niall was looking for was vanished because of what was going on in front of my eyes.

"Can you please open up your mouth a little bit more?" Niall sighed, looking at Jayden.

Jayden pressed his lips together and tried not to laugh. I had a hard time holding back a laugh myself too because of Jayden's childish behavior. He is a child so what did I expect?

"Okay, you're done." Niall finally said.

He placed Jayden's toothbrush on the sink and took a steady grip under Jayden's armpits before lifting him up. Niall pretended to be an airplane as he rushed towards one of the bedrooms. I could hear Jayden's laughter all the way to the hall and it made me smile so big. Then Niall stuck out his head by the doorframe and pointed at me.

"This was your idea so you better get over here and read him a story."

"Why should I read him a story?" I asked and walked over to the bedroom.