Chapter 12 - "Don't make me say it."

Picture of Brooke.

-----------------------------------------

Breakfast the next morning was extremely awkward between us. Scarlett was really, really hungover, Franklin was grumpy and I was just tired. It was almost like I wished our parents would be back home so we wouldn't be forced to spend time together. Since mom gave Lisa permission to stay home until Sunday, we needed to make dinner and all that by ourselves for the first time in ages.

We never even mentioned last night. I guess Franklin was still in shock that Niall knows we're siblings after all this time. And I'm not even sure if Scarlett remembers anything. She just sat with her face in her palms during breakfast meanwhile Franklin was nibbling on his cereals. I was on my phone without saying anything the whole time. Eventually it buzzed in my hand. It was a text from Brooke who asked me if I wanted to go shopping later today.

I grabbed my bowl and placed it in the sink as I typed an answer.

"How long has he known?" Franklin suddenly asked me when I was about to leave the room. I turned around and looked at him. "Niall." He explained.

Scarlett's head snapped up when his name was mentioned.

"Since the charity gala." I simply said.

"Why did you tell him out of all people? You haven't even told your friends." He frowned. Scarlett looked between us, also with a frown on her face.

"It's a long story. Don't act like you care."

"I don't." He shrugged and looked down at his bowl. "It's just that Niall can't keep secrets."

"He's been keeping it for a while now, so..."

"Wow, he kept his mouth shut an entire week! Maybe you're right, no one will figure it out." Franklin sarcastically said.

"I trust him, okay? It's not like-"

"You shouldn't trust him." He interrupted, totally ignoring Scarlett's stare. "I've known him since he joined the team two years ago. I've seen what he does to girls and I'm not just gonna sit here and watch him destroy you."

"What are you gonna do about it? Tackle him, like you tackled Riley?"

"Who's Riley?" Scarlett asked and I glanced at her.

"Her ex."

"You've had a boyfriend?" She exclaimed and looked at me, before turning back to Franklin. "How come you knew about him and I didn't?"

"Because." He said and turned his attention back to me. "The thing is that you shouldn't get involved with Niall. You'll only end up getting hurt."

I'm already hurting on a daily basis

It's nothing new to me

"The thing is that he cares about me more than any of you." I said and looked between them. "Would you drive me around town late at night because I needed your help? Would you calm me down when I was having a panic attack? Would you be worried about me not getting home safe enough?"

He didn't answer. Neither did Scarlett.

"That's what I thought." I muttered and left the room.

I replied to Brooke's text, saying that I'd love to meet her up at the mall. I could really use some company today, even though I'm super tired.

"What do you think about this one?"

With half closed eyes I looked up at Brooke. She was standing in the dressing room with another dress hanging on her body. She had been trying on different dresses for the past 20 minutes, and to me, they all looked the same.