13- White

The tears rolled down my face, like horses racing against a flood. His voice calmed me almost immediately, and his response had me feeling numb. There were a million thoughts running through my head. As soon as I could tell him that I was okay, he insisted that he come to see for himself.

"No, you dont need to be concerned, I'm fine, really."

"Maryanna, I saw how hard he threw you, I saw the blood. Your not fine."

"But, "

"No! Your not going to stop me. I'll be there in five minutes. Goodbye." The phone clicked off. I know that I can't stop him.

Three minutes passed when my room door opened. I expected the doctor with a check up, but Sam stood in the doorway, holding a dozen red roses. He ambled to the bedside and layed the roses down upon the table. Then got down on one knee, pulled out a box, and took ahold of my hand.

"Maryanna Norbard, I love you more than I thought when I first met you. Through this hell we've endured, we've endured it together, and with God as my witness I ask you, Will you marry me, and be mine forever?" I was in tears. Sobbing. Better yet, the dam bust open, and the waters were racing.

I nodded. "Yes!" I replied. Sam pulled the ring out of the box and put it on my hand.

"Maryanna Mercies, you are so beautiful." I had to laugh, my life changed so quickly in that moment, that my happiness shrouded my negative news. I belonged to the man I had to kill, yet here he is, my fiance, marrying me instead of hating me. If my life could be any better than this, there was no way It'd show. Sam leaned over the bed and kissed me, and gladly and freely, I kissed him back. When he pulled away to examine me, I stopped him. I sighed.

"I lost the job." I whisper. He smiled.

"Yes, I know. Remember I can see that through touch." I forgot. I pulled him in and kissed him hard on the lips, on his forehead, his neck, and his cheeks. I was allowed to do that. He was mine. I was his.

************************************

The sun was out, drying up the rain that settled on the grass. I lifted my head to the sky, closed my eyes and took a deep breath in.

"Maryanna?" I turn and look at Angela, as she is handing me my bouquet. She lowers my veil, and does final touch ups. "Thank you... For what you did." I touched her arm, and shushed her.

"Don't thank me for that. It was horrible. Thank you for being there for me while I was out." She nodded then smiled. Outside, beyond my room, I heard the bell toll, so I left to start the procession. Angela followed behind me, so I stopped and grabbed her wrist. I moved a hair out of the way, then let her in front of me. The procession began with Sam's sister and Peter, Angela and Blaine, then lastly Veronica, My sister in-law, and Dakota. After they walked to the stage, the music, my cue, started, and I turned through the doors and started down the aisle. Sam stood prepared at the front, with Dr. Cortel, smiling. As I proceeded down the aisle, I could see my mother cying and smiling. I had always waited for this day, and it had come. When I made it to the gazebo entrance, the music stopped. Dr. Cortel wasn't traditional, and that's why we wanted him to do the service.

"Ladies, gentlemen. We gather here today to witness the marriage of Maryanna Norbard and Samuel Mercies. Now I know you expect a reading of the bible, but unfortunately I left mine behind. So today I will allow the groom to say his vows, then the bride." He smiles and leaves the floor open. Sam chuckles.

"Well, Maryanna, you caught my eye that night at Bellamy's. I thought of myself as a wanderer till I saw you, and I have never been so happy in my entire life. So I promise to always fight for you, always defend you. To always be your console, and your guidance should you ever need it. I promise to always take your word, and to never look at you as though you are my enemy. I will always love you." Sam finished and had to wipe his eye. Now with mine, I had to be careful.

"Sam, I was in grave danger when I met you. Yet you didn't care, you stood by and helped me kill my demons. You comforted me, when comforting was what I needed. You helped me do what I never could have done alone. So therefore, I vow to always be your one and only, I promise to help you even when you don't want the help. I promise to always be your backbone, should yours weaken. I promise to hold you for the rest of our haunting lives. I promise to be Yours." Dr. Cortel speaks again.

"Now, will the groom please place the ring on the finger. And repeat after me. I.."

"I."

"I'm kidding, you said your vows! Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. And Mrs. Mercies! You may kiss the bride." Sam Grabbed the back of my neck, leaned me backwards and clamped his lips to mine. At that moment I let myself slip into his warm embrace, and kiss.

This was the moment that changed my life forever.

It all started with a dream.

A Lucid Dream.