10- The Pier

"How would you know what a 'Bad vibe?' Feels like?" I ask.

"You don't think I've had near death experiences?" Sam replies.

"I'm just pulling your leg." I say laughing, as Sam's face starts to flush. "Look, if you've got a 'Bad vibe' we can leave." Sam shakes his head, refusing to go.

"No, the pier is a huge part of my childhood, and I'm not gonna leave, not until you know my childhood better than your own." That made me laugh.

"Fine, but lets hurry before the ticket prices go up for the night."

************************************

We sat at a table in front of the bakery on the pier. There was almost nothing Sam hadn't told me about himself, and I felt guilty because I was a closed box. There wasn't much I could tell him.

He tried asking me questions, but being a dreamer, your life is devoted to dreaming and you don't have much of a childhood. Except for school, but I never took interest among the drama or even friends, that is until Sarah. What I cold tell him wasn't long and elaborate like his was. In one way or another, we did relate to each other in hardships.

"Since we're on the subject," Sam starts. "Have you ever had any near death experiences, awake?" I thought about it.

"Yes." I paused. Sam looked at me asking me to explain. "When I was 5 my dad was still living with my mom and I. He was a dreamer like my mother and I, as well, only my dad was a Haywire Dreamer. So his dreams were never true, though he wished they were. Anyways, my dad was having a drunken outrage one night, over something my mom had said about him. Not only was my dad a drunk, he was an abusive drunk. So you can guess what happened. Anyways, as my dad was beating on her, my mom grabbed ahold of a kitchen knife to fight back.
My father caught ahold of the knife and took it from her easily. He spun around to throw the knife away, but when he turned, the blade caught me in arm. It gouged me to the first muscle layer. He didn't notice me bleeding. My mother did and managed to swing him her way, as he did the blade cut me yet again. This time on the cheek. It was no where near as deep, but it stung all the same. That time he noticed, and dropped the knife. My mother screamed hysterically." Sam was clearly fascinated.

"I can't beleive that." He says. He shakes his head. "You've had a much harder life than I, and I commemorate you for that." A smile played on my lips.

"And thy, whom has had such normal challenges, has surpassed them, and conqured. I commemorate thy much more." I laugh as I say this. Hard to find the words.

"Well look who spent their time on old english!" Sam says. I smile and shake my head.

"I didn't spend time on anything. I just have imagination."

"So I'd hope." One of the ladies from inside the bakery, quickly came to my side and said she had a message for me. It was a note. "What does it say?"

"The boat engine is running,
On faith and gasoline,
enjoy the sights of the midnight waters,
For a night you'll never forget.
G."

I stare at the note for a minute, locked in pure dread. Sam could only make inference to what was being said in the note. My heart was pounding and my hands were getting shaky. I covered my face as tears started to roll down my cheeks.

X was calling time.

I started to blank, and stare openly into the boat docks. Waiting to see the ghastly figure of Mr. X, waiting patiently. Finding it utterly annoying and scary, to have this happening to me. I barely notice Sam moving in front of me as I stare.

"Maryanna. You seem to understand what that note signifies, but I dont, so you need to explain it to me." I lower my gaze to meet Sam's worried expression.

"He's waiting for us at the boat docks." Then it clicks in Sam's head. "What do we do?"

"We can't leave..."

"Why can't we?! He had no if..."

"Because if we leave, he'll follow us. He already found us here, what's to say, he knows that we are deliberating this. What's to say, he knows, that I know? We can't leave." Sam has a point.

"Then what do we do?" I ask slightly annoyed. Sam sits in silence. Staring as I did. Then he whispers to me.

"We go to him." He stands.