Chapter 44

Later that night I decide to face my fears again. I usually don't when I'm training initiates, but tonight I need to do something. My nerves are still messed up after my encounter with Tris earlier.

I'd set up two injections for my fear landscape, so that I can go through twice. My fears should knock all thoughts of Tris from my mind. I walk up to the glass ceiling, holding the box with the serum. I'm not even really paying attention to where I'm going, since I've memorized this path.

I hear someone come up near me at the fear landscape room. I glance back and see a flash of blonde hair, and don't need to see anything else. My heart beats faster in my chest. I open the box and act like I haven't seen her, pulling out a syringe.  I don't speak until she's close.

I don't look over my shoulder at her. "Since you're here, you might as well go in with me."

I don't need to look to see her biting her lower lip. "Into your fear landscape?"

"Yes."

She moves closer. "I can do that?"

I state the facts, since they're familiar and a welcome distraction. This is exactly what I've been waiting for, for her to learn who I really am. "The serum connects you to the program, but the program determines whose landscape you go through. And right now, it's set to put us through mine."

"You would let me see that?"

"Why else do you think I'm going in?" I ask quietly, not lifting my eyes to look at her. It's not a complete lie- I was hoping that she'd come, though I figured that it was a stupid wish. "There are some things I want to show you."

I hold up the syringe, and she tilts her head to the side to expose her neck. She flinches as the needle goes in, but doesn't make a sound. When the serum is in her, I offer her the box. She takes the syringe out and eyes it. I can tell she doesn't want to hurt me, and I almost smirk. "I've never done this before..."

I tilt my head to the side. "Right here." I point to the spot with my finger. She stands on the tips of her toes and pushes the needle in. It doesn't hurt. I keep my eyes on her the whole time.

I put the empty needles in the box and then set it by the door. If it's possible, my heart beats harder. I offer her my hand, and I'm surprised when she does. I wasn't expecting her to take it. I push open the door with my free hand, and we step into the dark room.

"See if you can figure out why they call me Four," You're smart; you should be able to figure it out. The door clicks shut, and Tris sucks in a breath. It's cold in here, but I don't mind it. Tris moves closer to me so that her arm is pressed against mine.

"What's your real name?" She asks.

Well, Beatrice, you'll find out.

"See if you can figure that out, too."

The simulation takes over us. The ground isn't the cement anymore. It's metal, and makes creaking sounds. Shit. Heights. Tris takes in the view- the city and the blue sky. The wind starts to blow hard. Tris leans against me, and I worry that she'll blow away. The thought makes a laugh bubble up in my thoat, but it dies when it hits my lips.

I slide my hand out of hers and wrap it around her shoulders. It's half to protect her and half to steady myself. I clench my teeth, reminded of my terror on the Ferris wheel. I force my breaths in and out of my mouth. Tris seems to love it here, though, and I don't understand how.

"We have to jump off, right?" She shouts over the wind. I nod. "On three, okay?" I can barely manage the nod.

"One...two....three!" She starts running and pulls me with her. I sprint and catch up to her. After our first few steps, the next ones are a bit easier. We run off the edge of the building, and the fall isn't as scary as I'd thought it would be, since I'd never done it before.