Chapter 9

Tris sits with Al and Christina- two Candor transfers- and Will-the one Erudite transfer- during lunch. At first I wonder why Will isn't sitting with Edward and Myra, the two other Erudites, when I see them two tables behind them, constantly taking breaks from eating to kiss each other. 

Drew, Molly, and Peter- the other Candor transfers- are sitting three tables behind Tris, Christina, Al, and Will. They make faces at the group behind their backs and make what seem like snide comments, laughing at themselves.

I notice Tris's face turn bright red at something that Will or Christina says, and then the four of them start laughing, earning more dirty looks from Drew, Molly, and Peter and earning raised eyebrows from Edward and Myra before they go back to making out.

"FOUR!" Shauna all but shouts, snapping her fingers in front of my face.

"What?"

"Snap out of it!"

"What did you say?"

Zeke grins and leans over closer to me. "Checking out a girl?" He gives me a suggestive look.

I roll my eyes. "No. Watching the initiates. Don't want them to do anything stupid." I pretty much mumble the last part and look down at my food.

Great. I'll be lucky if Zeke believes that convincing argument for a second.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

After lunch, I lead the initiates into the room where I'll train them to fight. The line up behind the faded black punching bags hanging from the ceiling. I stand in front of one bag, where they can all see me clearly.

"As I said this morning, next you will learn how to fight. The purpose of this is to prepare you to act; to prepare your body to respond to threats and challenges- which you will need, if you intend to survive life as a Dauntless.

"We will go over technique today, and tomorrow you will start to fight each other." I look each initiate in the eye, making sure my message sinks in. "Do I recommend that you pay attention. Those who don't learn fast will get hurt."

I name a few punches and kicks, demonstrating them in the air and on the bag. Then I allow the initiates to find a bag and practice themselves.