Chapter 22

"EVERYBODY UP!" Eric shouts, sweeping his flashlight beam across the initiates' faces. Tris squints and blinks, looking around the crowd of us. I notice her watching me and meet her gaze, completely forgetting that we're in a room full of people for a minute,

"Did you go deaf, Stiff?" Tris shoots Eric a look that says if she wasn't so tired, he'd be dead.

Tris is lucky, at least. While she slept with her clothes from today on, Christina only wears a T-shirt. How she manages to give Eric such a cold look with almost nothing on, I'll never know. It must be a girl thing. I look only at the initiates that are fully clothed, so that it isn't too awkward.

"You have five minutes to get dressed and meet us by the tracks," Eric says. "We're going on another field trip."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Tris is one of the first transfers to reach us, right on the heels of a few Dauntless-born. Tris and Christina eye the paintballs and guns, and then Tris throws her head back and laughs, as if this is one of the funniest and most obvious things ever.

"Everyone grab a gun!" Eric shouts, and all of the initiates quickly arm themselves. Tris grabs a gun and a box of paintballs, slinging the gun over her back, the strap crossing over her chest. It looks so natural for her to do it, as if she's done midnight paintball-capture-the-flag every night since she could walk.

"We'd better watch out for that one, huh?" Uriah, Zeke's younger brother and a Dauntless-born initiate says, nodding towards Tris.

"You should see her in training." Is my only reply.

"Time estimate?" Eric asks. Uriah abandons me and walks back over to Lynn, Shauna's younger sister with half of her platinum blonde hair shaved off. A dark haired girl- Marlene, maybe?- joins them immediately.

I check my watch. "Any minute now. How long is it going to take you to memorize the train schedule?"

"Why would I, when I have you to remind me?" He shoves my shoulder a little, and several retorts edge their way to the tip of my tongue. Instead, I glare at him and look at the train's headlight.

Here we go. I think and get ready to get on. As Zeke would say, it's showtime.