Chapter 12

To say I wash shocked to see my parents would be an understatement. They showed up two days ago, on Wednesday, Theo took the day off and I thought that was strange but occasionally he works at home. But when I answered the door I was not expecting Lillian and Royce Bentley, my parents. Sometimes I miss my last name, I'd rather be Adeline Bentley than be associated with Theo Taylor. Theo came up behind me and welcomed them in. He pulled me aside and told me he had invited them over since they had come back from Paris, which I wasn't aware of, and there home was being renovated. My Mother told me they were staying in a nice hotel but the penthouse was taken so they had to settle for a just as nice of a room if you ask me.

My Mother and I 'bonded' as she called it but in reality we got our nails and hair done while she gossiped. My Father and Theo stayed at the house going over business, smoking cigars and drinking scotch. On Thursday they showed us the apartment they were staying in, which was on the same floor as the penthouse. It was very beautiful and to much, they said they would only be staying there for a week or two, I didn't see why it had to be so plush but my parents would accept no less. Movers had already moved most of there things in the apartment but they kept some at our house.

Theo has been his usual fake loving self, although I don't know why, my parents know details of the way he treats me and they don't give two shits. I still sleep in the bedroom next door, my parents have been sleeping in two separate rooms as well, my Mother in my reading room and my Father next door, they might act like a loving couple but I know what my Father and even my mother does...I guess that's what my future looks like.

So now it's Friday, and my parents are taking us out to eat for dinner. I sit on my bed as my Mother rummages through my closet and Sarah leans against the wall rolling her eyes, she's been here an hour and my mother refuses that she works my hair and makeup before she figures out what I'm wearing so it can match.

I laugh as Sarah mocks my Mom smacking her fingers together making a mouth movement "Adeline I thought you'd have more things, we need to go shopping before I leave" she says from my filled closet and I shake my head rolling my eyes and laying back on the bed

"I have plenty" I tell her, her presents drains me, she won't leave me alone and that might sound like a loving Mother but she's pointing out all my mistakes. Like how I need to wear more makeup or stand up straighter or make sure my hair is always done, just annoying things like that. My Fathers hardly talked to me, he doesn't know what to say.

"Obviously not" she replies quietly

She walks out, none the less, holding a short pale green dress, it has thin straps and a low neckline, it has cream silk flowers sewed in, decorating the neckline and hem, it looks a little short and I don't think I've worn it since I was 18 "that?" I ask

She nods "it will have to do" she says laying it out on the bed beside me

I look over at Sarah and her eyebrows are raised in surprise "Mom I think that's a little small" I tell her

She shakes her head, her shoulder length blonde hair shakes with her and I get a strong whiff of her hairspray that's keeping her hair in place "no it's fine, put it on" she says staring at me, her pale and slightly wrinkled skin is covered with makeup and her brown eyes are lines with light eyeliner and mascara, her thin lips have a soft shade of pink on them.

I go to argue but I hold my tongue and sigh "now I have to get dressed, I'll be back soon" she turns to Sarah "makes sure she looks her best" my Mother instructs

Sarah nods with pursed lips and I can tell she doesn't like my Mother very much. My Mom steps out and Sarah sighs "lord have mercy on the woman, has she always had a stick up her ass?" She asks pointing over she shoulder