Chapter 9

We pull out of the hotel driveway, I don't even know what hotel it is, I try to look back to see which one but he pulls off into the road before I can. I turn back around and lay back in my seat. I wonder where he'll take me. I have to remind myself that this is not a date but a simple get together of two people who enjoy each other's company. I mean I assume he enjoys mine otherwise he wouldn't have had coffee with me.

"So where to?" I ask

I look over at him but he just has a big smile on his face "you'll see" he says sounding like an excited child ready to show off his newest toy

"Ok..." I trail off looking out the window

People on the street smile, others type angrily at there phones and some look like they want to slap the person they're with. As we drive more the scenery changes from bright yellow taxis and high class people to run down cars and spray painted buildings. I don't think I've ever been down here and I'm surprised Vincent has.

"Ok we're here" I hear Vincent say I look over at him to see we're stopped on the side of the road

"Where is here?" I ask looking around the run down area, it's not bad looking it looks normal and quiet, only a couple of people are walking down the grey sidewalk, dark brick buildings lining the narrow road

"Just come on" he opened his door and walks around to my side opening my door for me

I step out onto the sidewalk and stare over the area, his car looks completely out of place, the shiny silver looks so clean compared to the rest of the area.

I turn to Vincent but I don't see him, I tilt my head and twist around to see him already walking at a brisk pace. My eyes widen and I hurry after him before he turns the corner.

"You don't wait up do you" I say

He chuckles as we round the corner of a brick building "I'll try to next time" he tells me

He stops in front of a little shop and I look up 'Used Books and Records' under that reads 'Annie and Jo' the sign with the names is slightly crooked

I look to Vincent and he smiles fondly at the place. I look in the glass windows to see book shelves running back into the store. A small sign on the door reads 'open' and some pieces of brick are eroded and crumbling.

He looks over at me but his small smile falters "This was a bad idea" he shakes his head "I should have asked-"

"What? No this place is great" I tell him looking back up at the charming book store

I walk towards the door leaving him to follow behind me. I open it and a small bell sounds. The store smells of a mixture of mildew and books. I scan the columns of book cases, deciding which isle to go in first, at the beginning of the isle reads the genre of the books. Everything in here is pretty neat but I wonder why Vincent brought me here of all the book stores in this city, why this one? Before I can turn around and ask I see an elderly woman come out one of the isles, she's probably the same age as my Mother maybe a few years older. She's dressed in a long black skirt hanging over her feet and a light pink shirt with a black cardigan covering her small arms. Her hair is dyed blonde but the roots show hints of grey throughout. Her golden brown eyes are soft and sweet but wrinkles decorate her aged face from stress and grief.