My two fathers - part 61

Phil's POV
The flames from the fire grew upwards as we watched the fire service struggle to put them out. Lucy was in tears, still kneeling on the floor, rocking backwards and forwards. There was still something else on my mind: where the hell was Dan?

I looked around but he wasn't anywhere to be seen. It was only moments ago that I had hold of his arm, when had I let go?

"How did this happen?" One neighbour asked me as we were pulled over to behind the safety line.
"We...weren't even here...I don't know." I answered, not even looking at her as I kept my eyes desperately searching around. He couldn't have gone far, he was drunk. The whole night would probably be forgotten tomorrow, but he'd wake up with no house, no daughter or husband if he didn't turn up.

Dans POV - half an hour ago
"This way Dan!" Phil shouted as he grabbed my arm and ran, I was confused and didn't even know where I was going. I couldn't even remember who I was just with.

Lucy passed me and Phil as we turned a corner and came to our street. Then I saw the house. The flames, the horror and let go, stepping backwards in surprise.

But before I could speak out, someone grabbed me from behind and covered my mouth, pulling me away. I tried to fight but my brain was too full of alcohol to function. I was thrown into a van and we drove off. I fell asleep.

Phil's POV - now
"Dad, what should we do?" Lucy pulled me in for a hug, sobbing into my shoulders. I didn't react. I was too busy watching as the fire service pulled out our possessions and began placing them in the floor. The blackened photographs and sofas, blankets being shaken to get rid of the flames.

Our lives together, the memories burning right in front of us. And Dan wasn't here.
"I need to look for him." I said, moving Lucy's arms away and she looked at me in confusion.
"Dad, you need to stay here. Please."
"No. I need to find him Lucy." I began to walk out of the crowd. Lucy ran up to me and grabbed my arm.
"Please Dad. Stay?" I shook my head and began to walk further and soon enough, she followed behind.

Dans POV
I woke up about half an hour later, dazed and even more confused than I already was. I was sitting in a darkened room, the cloth still around my mouth and my hands tied in front of me. I began to sit up and the lights came on, making me squint.

I looked over to my left and Zoe was sat in the corner, her eyes streaming with tears and in the same situation as me. She glanced at me and showed confusion in her face. Then it hit me. It was Alfie's idea all along. Phil had told me about him: the bully at the school. He must have been the voice.

All of a sudden, I heard a shuffling noise a few metres next to me and turned to see him also tied up. Alfie looked angry, he was trying to break apart the ropes around his wrists. He looked and glared at me then saw Zoe, his face becoming more distressed. He began to cry as well.

I looked up and down, noticing anything else in the room. My head was still pounding and it took all my effort not to throw up or faint.

The speaker on one side of the room came on and a voice spoke, the familiar, grumbly but still unrecognizable voice that we had heard too many times on the phone calls.
"Alfie, Zoe, Dan, welcome. It turns out we changed our plan and have locked you in here under supervision. Wasn't it a surprise to see your house on flames Dan? I thought it was quite funny." He began to laugh and it echoed in the room.

Alfie's mouth piece became undone when he moved and he spoke out "Let us go! Who are you? We haven't done anything wrong!" He pleaded.

"Well, you are right there. We just thought it would be fun to see you all suffer." The voice said making Zoe whimper in the corner.

"It's all right, Zoe," Alfie gave her a reassuring look "look Dan, I'm sorry, okay? This is a joke?" I shook my head slowly "Didn't you have a...urr...Phil! He was with you, right? We can get him to..."

"Sorry to but in like this, you see but as we speak, my team are on their way to dispose of your friend Phil for good this time. And your precious little daughter." The voice laughed again and the announcement ended as the speaker turned off and the lights went out again, making us all fall silent in shock.