My two fathers - Part 53

Lucys POV
We sat on the muddy bank and watched the river flow slowly in front of us before I broke the silence.
"Dad, it can't be true, you know that right?"
"Lucy, I'm being serious. I don't care of he's dead, I saw Phil with my own eyes right in front of me." I sighed and took hold of both his hands and looked into his saddened eyes.
"Look. It wasn't real. Phil is dead. You need to move on..."

Dan squirmed away from me and removed his hands. He blinked and one solitary tear fell down his face.
"I...swear...it was him..." He closed his eyes tighter and tried to think some more.

Dans POV
The image of his face from only a few minutes ago was still planted in my mind. He had looked straight at me. My own husband. The one who was supposed to be lying in the coffin I had cried over. I just didn't understand.

He had looked a bit different though. Maybe it was the dark but it seemed his eyes were a lot larger, the shade very much a deep blue, almost black. He had scratches across his face and his cheekbones had looked thinner. I briefly remember his hands being almost skeleton-like, I could see all the different bones... But it was definetely him. I was sure of it.

"But, Dad think about it." Lucy went to comfort me, wrapping her arms around my waist and leaning her body closer to keep ourselves warm.
"I am thinking about it and it was real. One moment he was there, he had seen me and I had seen him and then he had gone. It was like he couldn't stay...he wouldn't stay..." My mind drifted off to what he was wearing. I suddenly remembered something.
"What do you mean?" Lucy asked.
"Phil was wearing a suit. One that I recognise from someone before. I cant think who..."
"Dad, I don't think..."
"And an ear piece! I remember now! Maybe that has something to..."
"Dad! Please stop!" Lucy shouted, standing up and throwing my arms back down to my side.

"What's wrong?" I looked up at her, her eyes becoming glossy and her lip quivering.
"Dad. Is. Dead. Please, he's not alive anymore okay? Now can we drop it and go?" She turned on her heels and began to walk off. I quickly stood and went after her, my mind still trying to mentally save all the images I had of Phil from earlier before they left.

"Lucy!" I called, half jogging to catch up with her.
"Seriously Dad..."
"Okay, no more. I...it must have been someone else okay. I accept it. It wasn't Phil." She raised her eyebrows at me.
"Promise you won't...?"
"Promise." I always had been rubbish at lying and I felt really bad but I left it for now.

Lucys POV
We walked in silence for the rest of the journey, the only noise was the crunching of our feet in the leaves. It took us a while before we found the opening again and came out at the back of the graveyard. I turned to walk out of the gates but Dan held my arm.
"Look..." He whispered and we turned to the area where Phil's body had been buried, the mound of fresh mud still visible. There was the same figure from before, just standing and watching. But it wasn't us this time. It was staring at the grave.

"Hey you!" I shouted and it turned around. From the distance we were standing, I couldn't see its face but Dan gasped.
"It is him I swear..." He squinted, the figure now looking at us blankly.
"Get away from that grave!" I shouted, cupping my hands around my mouth so that it heard this time. The figure nodded and Dad from behind me screamed as I turned around and saw him being dragged away by another figure, this one wearing the same cloak as the first.
"Dad!" I shouted but before I could go after him, I was tackled from behind and dragged off into the opposite direction. I kicked and flailed my arms around, shouting and swearing at the top of my lungs but it made no difference. I had the instinct to look and suddenly saw him. It was Phil. And he was the one taking me away. Holding me tighter and tighter as he pulled me as far away as he could from Dan.

"What the...?" I breathed and he looked down at me, his face angrily scrunched up as he turned another corner and passed me to another man who was waiting at the church.
"Dad...please...what are you...?" He didn't say a word as I was pulled through the open doors, Phil shutting them behind us and switching the lights on. The man holding onto me sat me down and tied me to a chair in the centre and left me alone with Phil. I couldn't run. I couldn't move. I was terrified....