Part 18

"Soft skin," I grin, brushing my fingers against Juliet's cheek. She's woken up from her nap and is all smiles, her brown eyes bright.

"Pink lips," she whispers, poking my lips.

"Are you hungry? Can I get you anything?" I ask, very worried about her now.

She's pregnant. All of two months and the baby is the size of a peanut. It worries me because we drank alcohol in Mexico even though we knew this could have happened. But I'm also scared because she was sick for a while already.

"No," she says, her body curling closer to mine.

It's been a wonderful trip so far and I love spending mornings like this. We're cutting our trip short so we are in France, our love perfect for this city.

"Let's go to the bakery," I say, her head nodding.

I get up and we get dressed, her body next to mine in a matter of seconds. It's always like this, but I don't mind at all. Having her beside me is perfect and I would not trade it for anything.

"You ready?" I ask, her head nodding.

I take her to the bakery down the street and we sit together in a booth, her body close and our faces are as well. I kiss her cheek and we start eating together, her eyes so bright.

"I'm going to use the bathroom," she says, my head nodding. She kisses me and I let her go, my fingers looking through the menu at different things. It takes me a minute as I look at the man in the pictures...the owner. I put two and two together, my eyes widening.

The bakery's name is Juliet's, to what I thought could have been for Romeo and Juliet. But the man's features are very similar to Juliet's. We're in her father's bakery.

But I'm pulled out of my thoughts when Juliet pushes back into the booth, her eyes releasing tears.

"Take me to the hospital," she rushes, my hands grabbing her cheeks before we rush out to the rental car.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" I say, concern so high. We've been through so much on this trip already and I need to make sure she's okay. Juliet is my top priority.

"I-I..." she tries but she cries.

I just grab her hand and take her into the emergency room, her body held in mine. By the time we finally get to the doctor, Juliet is stressed and clearly internally hurting.

"What seems to be to problem?" the doctor asks, a clear French accent in his voice. Juliet requested English for privacy reasons.

"I-I'm pregnant and I found blood," she whispers, my eyes closing. I lean my face in her hair and feel my heart drop to my stomach. She just came to terms with the baby, all for this?

"Let's take tests, figure everything out. It will be okay," he attempts to assure, Juliet only curling closer to me.

She gets a pelvic exam, a pregnancy test, and the doctors observe the blood discharged from her feminine area.

It's almost a half hour of waiting, my arms wrapped tightly around Juliet. She's calming down and I'm constantly whispering my love for her, assuring her.

"We have the results for you," the doctor says, walking into the room. Juliet grabs my hand and I hold it tight, her head nuzzled on my chest

"Considering between the point of conception and when you found out the actually results she had consumed alcohol, the body began rejecting the pregnancy. Other facts could be brought forth, such as a sleeping position or rigorous actions, but this essentially led to this. What happened was you experienced what's called a miscarriage. In your instance, it was similar to a menstrual cycle, but none the less horrifying. I'm sorry, but you lost the baby," the doctor sighs out, clearly distressed. Being the bearer of bad news isn't top on his list of favorite things to do.