Chapter 10

I squeal with delight. Suzanne rests her hand on my shoulder and I stop. My nervousness has disappeared and I smile with relief. Thank god it’s Eric; oh wow I am so lucky. I think and place my hands behind my back. I actually got him…it’s like a miracle.

          I look out the crowd and all eyes are turned to Eric. It’s quiet as he stands there looking around in shock. His little sister’s hand is now released from his, and she’s resting on her mother’s belly. I look at him again and he sighs. His folds his arms across his chest and walks through the crowd.

          He puts his head down, but I manage to catch a glimpse of his face and my mood drops. He doesn’t look happy; in fact he looks upset, and disappointed, and annoyed.

          He walks up the tree and bows down to my father and mother, and shakes my father’s hand. Then, he stands next to me, and doesn’t say anything, nothing at all.

          “Now,” I hear my mother say. “I will escort these two to the dinner room where they’ll have the traditional meal.” She says and places her hands on our backs.

           My mother then leads us out the back way, and I hear my father say something, but I don’t catch it. I turn my head to catch Suzanne following us with a smile. I smile back at her.

          My mother leads us into a room away from the crowd, behind the tree.

          “Have fun you two,” My mother says and leaves.

          I look at Suzanne who gives me a hug.

          “Have fun,” Suzanne says and grins.

          I smile. “Yeah, I will.” I say and she leaves.

          I turn to Eric who’s already sitting down at the table, facing my way. I smile at him and slowly make my way over to him and sit down.

          He grunts. “Don’t you think that dress shows too much skin?”

          My face flushes, but I don’t say anything. I don’t know how to respond. A lot of girls wear dresses like this, but usually the ones under sixteen wear longer ones. I’m only wearing a short one because my mother put it on me.

          Before he can say anything else, a female kidogo with curly red hair and light blue eyes and antennas comes into the room. Behind her is a male kidogo with black hair and brown eyes and antennas. They don’t say anything, but they are holding planks of wood with food on it. They must be our waiters. I think.

          They place the food on the table and exit, without a word said.

          I reach for a piece of meat and slowly bite into it. Eric doesn’t say anything, he just…looks…at me. A shiver goes up my spine and I begin to feel uncomfortable.

          “Why are you staring?” I quietly ask.

           He still doesn’t say anything. He hasn’t touched any of the food. What’s his problem? I think and reach for a piece of bread.

          It’s awkward and dead silent. Usually during this dinner, the new couple talks, and they get to know each other. So why is Eric being so quiet? I think.

          He continues to stare at me, his expression now blank and emotionless.

          “Eat something,” I say. “You’re going to starve if you don’t.”