Chapter 32 Trust Me

My heart plummeted into my stomach.

I couldn't help but feel this had to do with me. The look on Lucas' face confirmed it. He looked terrified. Not for himself, but for me. And surprisingly, I felt really calm and level headed. I was ready for this.

I was ready to fight.

But it would not at all be in the way anyone would hope for. I couldn't tell Lucas, then everything would get messed up. I hated to do this to him. It psychically hurt to even think about, but I knew what I had to do.

I looked over to a terrified Lucas. Tears brimmed my eyes as I gave him a soft smile, "Lucas. I want you to know whatever happens, I need you to trust me." After an agonizing minute, he slowly nodded his head, black locks bobbing. As much as I hated to admit it, I was going to miss them.

With that, I unlocked the door, and took off down the hallway. As I knew, Lucas bounded down after me. The gunshots rang in my ears and vibrated my bones. Other sounds were following. Uses of powers I'm sure, these people would fight back. My heart fluttered a beat with hope. Maybe I could get to them before too many people were killed.

Because of me.

Then all at once, it goes silent. My running halts as I make it to the corner leading to the main entrance where the shots had to be coming from. I hear absolutely nothing as I press my back as far into the wall as I could. Lucas was pressed beside me, also. More silence, then-

"Marachannah, I know you're here. Come out with your hands up, and nobody else will be killed. Including your mother and sister."

My body turns cold.

Eric.

Now was the time. My plan was unfolding and it was tearing me apart. I don't know if I could do it. But I had to try. And by God did I I have to put on the best show of my life. I turn to Lucas, studying all of his features.

His jet black hair, tanned skin, colorful eyes, and moody attitude surely had my attention caught when I first saw him. I should've very well ran for the hills, but I didn't. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't. I came to love this boy. But he had a troubled soul I'd come to realize, and his actions hurt me. But I wouldn't change a thing about him. I couldn't ever be with him, I knew that.

His face reminded me of the day on the balcony, when he finally showed me emotions. Crying in my arms, telling me why he was the way he was. His little scar on the bottom of his lip and his left eyebrow reminded me of the wars he fought, and how he has potentially hurt me. Like how he purposely took away my memories to meet his own needs.

Those perfect red, full lips of his remind me of the moments we have shared. Secrets whispered and laughs exchanged. There was so much more people didn't know about me and Lucas. We were messed up, but it was a good kind of messed up. When those lips stretched over his perfect teeth, it made me happy. I was happy that he was happy.

His body reminded me that he could break the world with a snap of his fingers, or could give you so much love that you will drown.

And the crinkle in between his brow when he was confused or sad or thinking made me frown. Never did I want his beautiful face to be scrunched up in sadness. But what I was about to do, I hope he would forgive me. If we both survive, that is.

Finally I bring my eyes to his. And I am blasted with all of our moments, and every single memory we had together. A single tear escape my eye, and I hastily wipe it away. I open up my heart, and let it radiate towards Lucas, to express what I cannot say. His face crinkles in pain and he shakes his head. "Don't do it, Sapp. We can run," he pleads I shake my head and smile.