Chapter 29 Almost Arrested

Eventually, we made it to the main streets in town.

Lucas slowed down, and he sat me down somewhere along the way. It was nice of him to carry me, but I could see that even he was worn out from my weight.

"You didn't have to carry me, you know," I said, smiling at him, "I know I'm a heffalump." He looked down to the ground, then back up to me, amusement in those colorful eyes, "Yea, I know you are."

My eyebrows flew up in shock but I slapped him playfully, well, is a smack that echoes through the streets playful?

Oh, well.

"Kidding! I'm kidding," he laughed. I knew he was butttt, it was still fun to mess with him.  I quickly snapped my arms over my chest and stuck out my lower lip.

"Now you get the silent treatment," I pouted. He groaned at me, but I barely heard it by the time I sprinted off away from him. I don't know why, don't ask. It just felt kinda right, man.

But too soon, I felt strong arms wrap around my waist and haul me up off the ground. I screamed as Lucas flopped me over his shoulder. "Let me go," I screamed as I pounded against his back.

"I will not be ignored," he declared. This made me burst into a fit of giggles. But then, I got an idea. "Help," I yelled, "he's trying to kidnap me!" Lucas jerked to a stop. Fellow citizens stopped and stared at us, some even pointing.

"Um, Sapphire?"

"Yea, Lucas," I said, still dangling from his back.  "What are you doing," he whispered quietly,"people are staring." I had to reign in my giggles, before I did what I was going to do next. With a deep inhale, I let out a scream. It was quickly halted though when Lucas threw me in front of him and clamped his hand over my mouth.

He looked absolutely horrified as people circled around us. My eyes crinkled up with a smile as I licked his hand. "Gross," he jerked away, wiping his hand on his pants.

And out of no where came a purse, connecting with his stomach. Quickly he turned to find an old woman beating the crap out of him with her purse. My hand flew up to my mouth as I buckled over in laughter.

Lucas tried to swat the purse away as gently as he could, but this woman was relentless. "You let that young lady go right now!" The old lady croaked, swatting him again.

"M'am-," he tried, only to be halted by another blow to the face. Finally I regained my composure and hesitantly tapped on her shoulder. Immediately she stopped, and her little old crinkly face lit up. "My dear," she purred, "are you alright?" My eyes lit up with an amused smile, "Yes m'am. We were just playing." I gave her a polite smile.

But by God if she didn't turn cold in an instant. With a big wap, her purse hit me. "You ignorant kids, and to think I stood up for you." With one more hit to each of us, she hobbled away, leaning heavily on her cane.

Everyone around us were laughing as me and Lucas stared at each other, in shock of what just happened. "Did an old lady just beat the crap out of us with her purse," I questioned, still in shock.

In the corner of my eye I saw Lucas bobbing his head and rubbing his arm. "Yea, yea I think she did." One awkward moment of silence later and we both busted out laughing, leaning on each other as we buckled over and fell to the ground. As we laughed, the crowd dispersed.

We sat back to back as we leaned our heads over each other's shoulders. Even though it hurt a little, I turned my head towards him. "Thanks, I needed that," I got out, right before another fit of squeals racked my body.

"Hey, you two!" Somebody called.

An officer appeared above us. Instantly, me and Lucas' smiles turned into horrified expressions. And I'm not gonna lie.

He looked beyond pissed.

We sprung up, and for some odd reason I launched my arms in a chokehold behind Lucas and around his waist. My face buried in his shoulder blades and I prayed that the officer would leave.

"Are you trying to kidnap this girl," the officer questions. I could practically feel Lucas roll his eyes when he said,
"Obviously." My hand pinched Lucas' stomach. This was not the time for sarcasm. I felt Lucas being jerked foward, and the jingle of medal. Uh-oh.

Handcuffs.

With new found confidence, I unlatched myself from Lucas and stepped from behind him to face the officer. True, I might be a Goddess. But cops still scared the living day lights out of me, because to them, I was still a normal human.

"I'm sorry, sir," I started, "he picked me up and I was trying to embarrass him. This was all a huge misunderstanding." The cop eyes me coldly. At second look, he wasn't intimidating at all. He was heavy set, with a kind face despite the look he was giving me. His cheeks were rosy and he was definitely old. He kinda reminded me of Santa Klaus.

I giggled.

"Excuse me is something funny?" He asked me, furry eyebrows raised. It reminded me off my psychiatrist. That made me frown, and mad. "I was just thinking you don't look intimidating and you look like Santa," I simply stated.

He put his chubby hand to his side, "I'll show you intimidating. I have half the mind to take you to jail." Lucas stepped protectively in front of me, "What do you think your doing?"

"Just scaring her to teach her a lesson," he spat, obviously pleased with himself.

Who does he think he is?

I stepped out from behind Lucas. He tried to stop me but I pushed him away. "You know," I started in on him. "Sapphire," Lucas warned. I put my hand up to silence him. "It's my birthday today. My 18th birthday to be in fact, and my life sucks right now so I was just trying to have some fun," I stated, "and I don't like the way you're treating me."

"Lady-," the officer started. But I slammed him up against the nearest wall. "I will show you intimidating," I spat, repeating his words from earlier.

My eyes ignited and a sweet smile placed on my face, "I have a lot of anger and I'd love to take it out." His face was horrified and he started shivering. I saw my fire reflect in his fearful eyes.

But I let go of him, and the flames extinguished. "Got it, mister?" He nodded frantically and tried to run off, but Lucas grabbed his arm and said, "You will not remember this incident, or us," he said firmly. With one more nod the officer took off down the street.

I smiled that felt great. But I saw the look Lucas gave me and I frowned. "Don't tell me, 'Oh Sapphire, you shouldn't have done that' or 'Oh Sapphire you scared him'. I don't wanna hear it. "

A grin split Lucas' handsome face, " I wasn't. I was gonna say that was totally awesome." A smile lit my face, "Really? Because honestly I felt so badass and cool and happy."

Lucas laughed and gave me a side hug, "Yes. And you were. This is your big birthday, you're finally an adult. Not to mention you deserve this. We can do anything you want to do tonight."

"Anything," I grinned mischievously.

"Yes, though I might regret it," Lucas frowned a little, but it was playful. Instantly I jumped on his back with a big huff from him. He hitched my legs up higher, and grabbed under my thighs, sending waves through me.

"Onward, my partner in crime," I shouted like someone going into battle.

"As you wish, Princess."