Chapter 2 Colorful Eyes

Those eyes. I almost jumped out of my seat. Or maybe fainted. Holding my breath, I took a closer inspection.

They looked like the eyes that taunted me in my sleep.

"No way," I muttered.
"Shut up," Jessica spat.
I rolled my eyes over to her, "Get a life."

She scoffed and I closed my eyes, silently counting to ten. Then I forced my eyes back open and up to him. No, it was just my headache making me see things.

"Figures," I muttered.

That's when my gaze met his. He was smiling like he just won a giant panda at the Fun Fair. I gave him an incredulous look and flipped my middle finger up. He then reduced his smile to a smirk. It said 'I know something you don't so what are you going to do about it?' I shrugged my shoulders and focused all my attention on my English teacher, Ms. Watson.

Poor Ms. Watson. She looked like she had been in the water too long with her body all prune-like. She was at least 100. Not to mention that she had to put up with all these teenagers snarky comments and crude jokes. That is, of course, if she heard them.

"Class, quiet down, and find your seats while you're at it," Ms. Watson mumbled.

Oh yea something was definitely off today. Normally Ms. Watson was yelling at us and popping off about how she just had one more year until retirement. But in her defense, she couldn't tell the difference between yelling and talking.

"Class we have a new student," she said as she pointed to the kid.
Then she looked at him, "Would you like to tell us your name, dear?"

Murmurs whisked across the room.

"His name could be faggot for all we care," someone shouted from the back of the class.

This caused an uproar of laughter. Ms. Watson was basically deaf so she didn't hear a thing. What an idiot, I thought. That wasn't even remotely funny. New kid started to chuckle. I didn't say that out loud did I?

"Your name, dear," she repeated.

New boy grinned a little and titled his head towards the ground. I swear Jessica almost fell out of her desk when his low, husky voice said,

"Lucas."

He was "hot" as some girls would say, I guess. His head was overflowing with glorious black locks, cut just behind his ears with swishy bangs. When he smiled, bright rays were sent out from his teeth. Not really, but they were really white. The cheekbones were high and angular.

And he was visibly muscular and lean. The dark pants he wore hung dangerously low and his black v-neck showed off perfect golden skin. Just imagine someone your mother told you to stay away from. Probably 5 times worse than that. But the most interesting thing was his eyes. In the light they looked more colorful than grey.

They probably made a rainbow want to run off to the far end of the world and cry in a corner. (Sorry not sorry rainbow, his eyes are better.)

Ms.Watson pulled me out of my trance by saying, "Welcome, Lucas."
"Since having a new student, I've decided that you should all get to know each other on a more personal level. Secrets, fears, hobbies and etc. Write them down and turn them in tomorrow."

I groaned and sunk down farther in my seat. Great. I was never good with partner situations. Most people thought I was a dork for actually doing my work. I'm not sorry that I want to get somewhere with my life. And just when I think things couldn't possibly get worse --
New kid plops in the desk beside me. Nonchalantly, I inched my desk away from his. I'm normally not this way but this dude was plain out creepy.

"We all know each other, old hag. You should know since you've been here forever," someone shouted. I whipped around in that direction. For some reason my blood was boiling. "Really asshat?" I said. All I got in return was a roll of the eyes. I turned back around in my desk, fuming.

I picked up my pen and started to furiously doodle patterns and flowers. And by God if New Kid didn't start laughing. I snapped my pen and turned to him, "What's so funny?"

"I think it's hilarious that she can't hear these ridiculous comments these kids are making," he said simply.

I cut him with my glare, "There comes a time when you're just so old that you cannot sustain the art of hearing anymore. It's called your elder days. Plus, you'll get used to it, New Kid."

He smiled and nodded towards my pen, "It seems you haven't."
"It's not that," I huffed, "I just can't stand anyone here."

"Including me?" he fake pouted.
"Especially you, New Kid," I let out a small laugh.

He started to grin, "I have a name, you know."
I continued doodling with my broken pen, "Don't we all."
He mumbled something but I didn't pay attention.

"So what do you like to do," I asked.
"I like to watch you, Sapphire," he whispered in my ear.
It took all my willpower not to slap him right then and there until he couldn't breathe.

"How do you know my name, New Kid," I sputtered.
He smiled that brilliant smile, "As you pointed out, we all have one."
Then he leaned close, his breath stirring my hair. His cold breath sent shivers down me as he whispered, "Plus, it's on your mad scrawlings."

Immediately, I slammed my notebook shut, marking my place with my finger. How embarrassing, I thought. Shut up, I don't even remember writing my name during my rage, I argued with myself mentally. A fit of deep chuckles sounded beside me.

He was laughing at me.

I slapped him, but he kept laughing as if I didn't even touch him.
"I know a lot about you, Sapphire. More than you'll ever know," he said. I was just plain out outraged now.

"Look. I'm not thrilled that we have to do this either but I really need-" The bell rang that ended this horrid class. Lucas got up without another word, and was out in the smelly hallway in two seconds flat. "Hey, you! Wait! I. Did. Not. Finish. My. Sentence," I was yelling at his back now in the claustrophobic hallway. When he turned around I felt his gaze wrap around me like a restraining coat. He wouldn't unlock it. A mischievous grin started to spread over his face when he shouted, "I'll see you later."

Then he was swept up in the highway of moving bodies. He left me standing there dumbfounded and open mouthed in the mass chaos of sweaty bodies running here and there, wondering how I was going to explain the mysterious new kid to my mother. The only sign that he was there was his words twisting through my mind.

I'll see you later.