Chapter 10 Misery

Krylan and I took the long way home.

He tried joking around to cheer me up, but nothing could stop what was inevitable. I was completely and utterly numb. Lucas had made Krylan erase my memories though I don't know how he did it.

You couldn't even piece my mind back together with superglue and ductape. Not even the best brain surgeon could fix it. And not even the worlds best psychiatrist could bring me back to my normal self.

Things were happening that weren't even supposed to be psychically possible.

And what? I'm important in another world besides earth?

Could it possibly be Hell?

"Stop, Sapphire. There's no need to stress yourself out even more," Krylan demanded as we pulled into my driveway.

Oh yea and somehow Krylan could read my thoughts. And I'm pretty sure his brother could also. Just great right? Two psychos in my psychotic mind.

"Ouch. I'm not a psycho," Krylan whimpered.

"Stop doing that," I shouted. And I immediately regretted it when his face turned cold. So I quickly recovered myself, "I didn't mean to snap, Kry. It's just a lots going on in my head now. And I'm pretty sure we need to go to an Asylum."

He tsked me. "Only if we drag Lucas, too. The heavens knows he needs it more than we do."

I stiffened again as I fought against my anger. "Don't ever bring up that name again, Krylan." With that I flew out of the car. Sprinting to my front door. But his voice stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Sapphire, promise me you'll give him a chance. Let him explain himself, for me. Don't be so hard on him. He's had a rough existence ," his French accent was dripping in sorrow.

My body couldn't turn itself around to face him. All of my nerves were starting to burn, as I took deep measured breaths to calm myself. It took a minute for me to be able to speak. "I can't promise anything. You helped today, yet you made it worse. Thanks though."

I made it to the porch now and put my head on the door. The pain was starting to twist my insides now. My body started to heat up. Just when I thought I was about to lose it, I felt a cool hand on my shoulder. "Sapphire, look at me," he pleaded.

Slowly I turned around. My face was still with anger, and he knew because his face turned soft. I drained all emotions from my face. Though I'm sure my eyes gave me away. Krylan placed his cool hand on my face.

A tear spiraled down my cheek after my best efforts to keep it concealed. And it dropped down on Krylan's arm. When it connected with his skin, it turned into steam with a sizzle. The steam rose above my head and floated off into the night.

It could escape, but I couldn't.

I grabbed Krylan's wrist and pulled his hand from my face. No more tears spilled, but my insides were overflowing with them. And I still let no emotions slink onto my face as I pushed Krylan away.

"Goodnight, Krylan Braythwell."

I managed to move my legs the few inches it took to get inside. And I shut the door as soon as I walked in. But it wasn't quick enough. I saw the hurt etched into his face as he whispered his departing note.

"Goodnight, Sapphire Lynette Woods."

{*¥*}{*¥*}{*¥*}

The tears were threatening to spill now but I pulled myself together enough to talk to my Mom. As I walked into the kitchen, I smelt my favorite cake. Red Velvet. My Mom knew I could never pass it up, but I couldn't eat anything today.