Chapter 14

"I don't want to put any of my riders in danger."

I stared across the wide desk at him and focused on a poker face. Not crying. Was he trying to make me feel worse?

Mr. Pine folded his hands, not taking his piercing eyes off me. I glanced down at my chipped OPI polish.

"If you are incapable of handling your horse, it subsequently puts every rider in the ring with you in danger."

I forced myself to look up at him and reply. "I understand."

"Good. Now." He leaned back. "I told you at the beginning of the year that I would move you to the beginner's class if I thought you were incapable of keeping up. I will follow through if I believe that that is the necessary course of action. However, in this instance, I'm going to defer to your judgement. Britney, I want to know if you personally feel that you are incapable of keeping up with the riders in your class, and I request that your answer be unmarred by personal ambition."

Damn. That was quite a speech. I forced myself to answer him as honestly as I could. "I understand your concern, sir...but I am confident that I will be able to handle Pippin in the future. I'm capable." I clenched my jaw, hardening my jawline. People told me that made me look stubborn, apparently.

Mr. Pine regarded me for an expanse of time that, despite the clock behind his desk, seemed immeasurable.

"I'm going to trust your judgement in this. But be aware-if this happens again, I will have to remove you from the Intermediate class."