Chapter 5

It turned out that Claire was assigned to Madden too-and Devony was apparently a huge Beezie fan!-so we giggled and chatted the whole way back to our dorm.

When we reached Madden, Devony led the way into the common room but stopped a few steps in. "Devony?" Claire stepped around her and froze.

"Um, why are you guys all frozen in the doorway?" I squeezed around them to see a tall blonde girl blocking the way. Her arms were crossed and she glared at Devony and Claire.

"Hey." I met her gaze. "Uh, can you move?"

She seemed to notice me for the first time, examining my old hoodie and skinny jeans. I rested my hands on my hips and frowned, not appreciating being ignored and scrutinized. "Hello, I was speaking to you."

She snapped her gaze up, narrowing her eyes. Her blonde hair tumbled over her soft-looking off the shoulder sweater. Finally, she offered me a half smile. Beside me, Devony and Claire were still nonmoving.

"I'm Bri," she introduced herself, an arrogant air flavoring her words. "Advanced riding team. And you are?"

"Brittany. Brittany Flynn. Transfer student," I said, still uneasy.

"You ride?"

"Um, yeah."

"Are you trying out soon, then?"

"I guess."

"Good luck," she smiled now, for real this time. "I'll see you around the stable." Then she turned to Devony and Claire, her smile disappearing in an instant. "And you losers. Who gave you permission to dump your crap all over the common room?"

Devony tensed. "Bri, go bother someone else. We were about to move our stuff anyway."

Bri huffed. "Well, don't get in my way again. It's the first day back and you idiots are already making a mess all over the place."

I took a step towards her. "You need to chill. You can survive with Devony's suitcases on the couch for five more seconds. And who gave you permission to talk to my friends like that?" I knew I sounded snarky, but I was getting really annoyed. Bri looked almost surprised that I'd stood up for Devony. Next to me, Claire shifted uncomfortably.

"You might want to put more thought into choosing your friends if you want to survive here. See you around, Flynn." Bri whirled and strode back out of the common room, down the hallway.

I waited until she was gone before I let out a long breath. I headed for the couch where we'd left Devony's stuff. "Can someone explain what just happened?"

Devony sighed, heading for the coach with Claire following. "You just met the biggest jerk at Laurel Heights. That is what just happened. Her name is Brianna DuMont. Practically screams bitch, doesn't it." She seemed pretty annoyed, so I let the matter drop as I helped her gather her suitcases. Luckily for me, Claire decided to clarify things a few moments later.

"Bri is just super competitive. She's pretty nasty to anyone who threatens her position as the best rider in the middle school riding program."

"The best?" I asked skeptically.

"Sad but true," Devony put in grumpily.

"She only hangs out with her BFF-Lauren," Claire continued. "Lauren's actually a lot nicer than Bri."

"So why was she being so nice-if you could call it that-to me and then a jerk to you?" I asked. "And what about that line about choosing friends or something?"

Devony shook her head. "I have no idea. And frankly, I don't want to know whatever she's plotting. I'd ignore her if I were you."