Chapter 16: Dosen't Work Like That

My eyes opened slowly.

The first thing I noticed was that I was laying in a bed, the covers over me, and a pillow underneath my head. Then, I realized that I was in a cell.

How'd I get here? I thought.

Suddenly, I felt hot. Not like the sun was beaming on me, but hot hot, like I had a fever. A really bad fever. I felt like I was standing on the sun, and for a second, I really believed I was. Sweat poured down my forehead, and I ripped the covers off of me. That's when the coughing began.

Once the coughing began, the fever went down, not by a lot, but it did. I covered my mouth with my hand. I looked at my hand and realized there was blood on it, a lot. I tried to call for help, but I couldn't speak.

Then, for what felt like hours, Hershel came in the cell. He crouched down to my level and gave me a cup. I didn't know what was inside, but I gulped it down. The coughing stopped a little, but my mouth felt weird. I gagged.

"W-What was th-that?" I finally spoke and Hershel laughed.

"You don't want to know." He said and wiped my forehead from sweat with a towel. "Lay back down, now. You need the rest."

I did as he said, panting. The weird feeling from my mouth went away. The fever slowly came back, but it wasn't as hot as when I woke up. I turned my face to look at Hershel. "H-How long w-was I out?"

"A day." he responded and I nearly jumped from the bed, but I really couldn't move at the moment.

"A d-day?!" I repeated, still getting used to speaking while coughing.  "What ha-happened?"

"Carl came inside the cell block with you. You weren't out, but I didn't think you realized that you were coughing, and Carl said you were sick. Glenn, Sasha and I helped you stop coughing. It took a while, but you finally knocked out." Hershel explained.

"Wait," I said, "Carl c-c-came in he-here?"

Hershel nodded. "But I made him leave as soon as he came. It took a bit of convincing, but I finally got to him."

I looked away. Carl came inside? God, why is he so stupid? He can't be in here. Why did he even bring me here? He could've just called for help.

I shook my head. "I don't r-remember anything."

"I don't expect you to." said Hershel. "But, I do expect you to remember why you were with Carl."

I glanced at Hershel. I was hoping he wouldn't ask that. "I went to visit him. That's all."

"But you know Rick wanted you two separated. Everyone here is. It's for your own good."

"I know that." I said. "Carl told m-me to come, and I did. I know I shouldn't h-have but . . ."

"But what?" Hershel questioned.

"But nothing." I lied. I couldn't tell him that I had feelings for Carl. I didn't expect Hershel to gossip or anything, but once I let it out to someone, it'll eventually spread until everyone knew. And I couldn't risk Carl knowing.

Hershel didn't look convinced. "You should rest." He stood up. "If you need anything, just call."

Before he left, I called out to him.

"Hershel." I said, and let out a cough. "Why are you here? You're not infected; you weren't in D when it happened."

"I know," he said, "but I need to be here. These people need me. I can't let anyone here die. I'd rather be here, infected like the rest of you, and being able to help, then being out there, knowing that people are dying in here."