Chapter Fourteen

Here's an update!! Sorry it's been a few days.

~Please excuse any and all mistakes~

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been two weeks since my fight with Raegan and the discovery of my parents divorce. It's about Mid-July now, summer's already half-way over.

I'm leaning against the porch railing watching as my dad packs the last of his stuff into his precious car. He stuffs the last box into the trunk and struggles to close the door. Probably overstuffed from all his monkey suits.

I roll my eyes when he finally shuts it and makes his way over to me. He awkwardly stops in front of me and shoves his hands into the pockets of his expensive suit.  I cross my arms over my chest and stare at him. I won't be the one to break the silence. I won't give him that satisfaction.

"Well I guess this is the part where we say goodbye." He starts. I just stare at him emotionlessly. He clears his throat before continuing. "You know that you can come visit me in Miami anytime, once I'm settled in. " He offers.

"Yeah, don't count on that happening anytime soon." I retort, clenching my jaw.

"Casper-" He starts but, is cut off by Courtney and Carter walking out the door, followed by my mom. He sighs and turns to the rest of the family he's abandoning.

Courtney walks down the stairs and wraps her arms around him. The hug is short and half-hearted. She pulls away and doesn't look at him as she walks back up the steps to stand by mom. I follow after her.

My dad waits for Carter to come down but, he clings to moms legs, and just stares at him. She nudges him gently and he hesitantly walks down the steps. He stops in front of our dad and stares up at him. My dad kneels down to his height and looks him in the eyes.

"I love you so much Carter. Don't ever think otherwise okay?" Our dad says. Carter nods softly, tears spilling out of his eyes and rolling down his little cheeks. They hug and then Dad stands up nodding to mom. She looks away a flash of pain crossing her face. I wrap my arm comfortingly around her shoulder.

He walks to his car and just when he's about to get in Carter starts screaming.

"Don't leave!" He shouts running down the stairs. "Daddy! Don't leave! Please! Don't leave!" He cries. My dad still gets in the car, with a slightly pained look on his face, and backs out of the driveway. I run down the steps, catching Carter around the waist before he can start chasing after him. I pull him back towards my chest, his little body convulsing with sobs.

"Shh." I whisper over and over, gently rocking him. I pick him up after a few minutes and bring him into the house. His little arms cling around my neck, his face pressed into my chest.

"Come on, bud." I whisper. Mom and Courtney walk into the house and I trail after them still carrying Carter. My mom looks over at me and puts and finger to her lips. She makes a sleeping gesture and points at Carter. I nod my head in acknowledgment and carry him up to his room.

I softly lay him on his bed and pull a blanket over him. I walk out of the room closing the door behind me and join my mom and sister downstairs.

They have a bunch of blankets and pillows scattered across the floor, and Courtney just finished putting a movie in.

"Hey, what are you guys doing?" I asked softly. They both looked up at the sound of my voice.

"We thought we'd have a movie night." My mom answered.