Chapter Twelve

Okay so I've had terrible writers block with this stupid chapter. I've probably rewritten it like ten times. I would start going one way with it only to end up hating it and doing it a completely different way.

Anyways I finally like how it turned out, so enjoy!

Here's Chapter Twelve!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been in a lot of awkward situations throughout my life. And when I say a lot I mean a lot. But, somehow none of those were never able to prepare me for the next awkward encounter. Awkwardness isn't something  you can become immune to over time; no matter how much we wish we could. It just doesn't work that way. Each case of awkwardness is a new experience, we can never prepare our selves for.

The dinner at Clara's house was yet another awkward situation I was not prepared for. Between Jack's almost constant flirting with Maria, the aftermath of my -kind of- kiss with Raegan, and Eric's brooding posture, I think it's safe to say the dinner hasn't been going very well.

"So Maria how old are you?" Jack asked. I slowly took a bite of the delicious hamburger Clara prepared, as I watched the scene before me. I looked over at Eric only to see him staring broodingly at his plate. If I didn't know any better I'd think he was trying to get ideas on how to get rid of Jack from a hamburger.

"I'm 18." Maria replied awkwardly. I glanced at Raegan, who's apparently still avoiding eye contact with me. I mentally sighed and took a drink of water.

"Wow 18 really? Maybe you and I could-"

"So Clara," Eric suddenly exclaimed cutting of Jack. I grinned a little. Real subtle man. Smooth. "How come you decided to repaint the house?" He asked feigning curiosity. I saw Maria wipe her mouth with a napkin, trying to hide the grin that was spreading across her face.

Jack scowled a little as his aunt started talking. "Well, when I first moved into this house it was a plain white color. Of course being an artist I wanted to...spice it up a little." She said the corners of her mouth tilting up. "So I painted it that green color. The neighbors were horrified but, I liked it. And who cares what a couple stuck up neighbors think right?" She said laughing. We all half-heartedly joined in. "I've had it green for quite a few years now so, I thought I would change it up again. Terrorize the neighbors with a new color." She joked.

I grinned shaking my head. "I think that's a great idea. I'm sure they'll love the new color." I said nodding my head mockingly. Clara grinned laughing a little.

"I like this one Raegan. He's a keeper." Clara said nudging her niece who was suddenly fire truck red. I smiled smugly and took another bit of my hamburger.

Jack took this moment of silence to veer the conversation back to him and Maria. "So Maria, about what I was saying earlier," He started, "I think we should go on a date sometime." He suggested.

Eric choked on the sip of water he was taking and Maria turned to him in concern.

"Are you all right Eric?" She asked worriedly patting his back.

"Fine." He said roughly.

"So what do you say?" Jack said a little irritably. Apparently not even Jack can  smile all the time. I looked at Eric and saw he was staring at Maria obviously waiting to see what she would say. We all were.

"Uhm...that's really flattering...Jack," She started hesitantly. "But, can I have some time to think?" She offered. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Why didn't she just say no. She's obviously into Eric. Unless she's trying to make him jealous or something.