2015- {USWNT REVIEW}

(scroll to the bottom)

2015 where to begin?

A year filled with triumph, fallout, loss, and love.
Start with NYE 2014- Alex got married, breaking the hearts of the Talex and Kellex shippers everywhere. But Servlex is fricking adorable. The next months were filled with soccer and World Cup qualifiers, which we took with ease. In February, Sydney got married secretly, and for all you New Englanders, the pats, actually no, Malcolm Butler won the super bowl. Then in March, we won the Algarve (shocking.). Also, McMasar happened... Then June. We all know what happened from June to July, but I feel like reliving it, so why the hell not? June 8. Megan Rapinoe and Hope Solo showed up against Australia. Hope played, in my opinion, one of her best games of her career, Then obviously Pinoe scored twice, both leading us to the 3-1 victory over Australia.
June 12. Ummm so. Meghan Klingenberg just casually saved our World Cup most likely. I quote Becky Sauerbrunn.
"That probably changed the course of our World Cup. Like, if we had gone down in that game, who knows?" (USWNT backline video from the Fox Soccer YouTube channel) And she's right. If they lost that game, demeanor would've been low going into the Nigeria game, and nobody really knows. So thanks Kling.
June 16. This is a game where we really didn't play our best. We were not playing like the USWNT that we are, we hadn't peaked yet. But once again, Abby Wambach scored a World Cup clinching goal... Not to mention her last international goal was the one that put us past the group stage. So #thanks Abby.
June 22. Round of 16. Today, we still didn't play our best, and we lost Pinoe and Chens due to yellow card accumulation. Not to mention the officiating was not good at all. But, finally Alex Morgan broke through and got her goal. It was about time! So all in all, we won 2-0, but still not our best game.
June 26. China. Oh god. This game. Don't even get me started. This game was so crucial in the World Cup, despite playing pretty not good. Since Pinoe and Chens were out, Jill was faced with a tough decision. This decision would ultimately win us the World Cup. This decision allowed Carli to be pushed higher. This decision was named Morgan Paige Brian, hailing from St. Simmon's Island, Georgia. Playing Moe in the holding midfield allowed Carli to be pushed up and utilized as the scoring threat she is. She demonstrated this when she scored the game winning goal in like the 80th minute, securing a spot in the Semis.
June 30. This game holds a special spot in my heart, since I was there, so I need to describe this to you. You guys can't even imagine the energy in the building. and let me tell you, the silence when Popp and Moe collided, the roar when Moe came back, the excitement when we had all of those scoring chances, the gasp when JJ took Popp down, the suspense when Hope was doing the stalling thing, (I was in a major freak out stage for the whole duration). The noise was deafening when Sasic missed. When Alex got taken down, I can't even describe the disapproving roar for the 10 seconds before the call was made. (I didn't even realize there was a whistle until they lined it up, that's how loud it was) When Carli lined up, the look on her face was that of sheer focus, the sound in the stadium of thousands,was that of pure silence, and when the ball hit the back of the net, the sound was deafening. And don't even get me started on our little KO's first goal. As soon as Carli faked out her player, I knew something special was going to go down, and that was our little Squirrel's first international goal. I'm pretty sure that I went temporarily deaf, but who's to complain? I went to the World Cup. I was a part of the greatest American sports triumph of this century, I witnessed history when Germany missed their first PK in WWC history, I witnessed Kelley frickin O'Hara's first international goal, and I totally didn't cry. Totally kidding, I cried multiple times. When Moe went down, when Sacic missed, Carli scored, Kelley scored, and the final whistle blew. I got legitimate chills whenever we chanted "I believe", and "USA". I got chills when the whole stadium in ANOTHER COUNTRY stood up and sang OUR national anthem, from start to finish, even when it started at 'By the dawn's early light'. Also cried when I saw the reactions of the players at the final whistle, especially when KO just fell to her knees in Cheney's arms. I was a part of history, and I couldn't ask for anything more.
July 5. This day should be etched in every fan's brains. The day before, we celebrated our nations freedom, then the day after we established our nations spirit. "We won the World Cup babaaayyyy" (Abby Wambach. NYC celebration). The third minute. Carli Lloyd. The fifth minute. Carli Lloyd. The fourteenth minute. Lauren Holiday. (Fantastic technique, honestly this goal should be getting more attention in my opinion.). Sixteenth minute. "Lloyd with Morgan streaking. She's chipping the goalkeepeeeerrrrr... OFF THE POST AND IN! HAT TRICK FOR LLOYD!" Then Japan scored, Hope tied the shutout record. 54th minute. Tobin Heath. Morgan Brian made a really good assist, she had about an inch of space to slip it through, and she did it. Really well executed goal. Then the tunnel for Japan, some impatient Pinoe dancing, Krieger tears with a Sydney hug. Awards awards and more awards for Harli. Then finally, Cap and Abby trophy lift. Champagne in the locker room, partying. Tears, hugs, TRIUMPH OVER TRAGEDY (for Kriegs.) TRIUMPH OVER DEVASTATION (for the United States of America as a nation.)
Ok so now we skipped ahead a few days/weeks. LA RALLY TIME.
"We're gonna introduce the gals to ya!" (Drunk Pinoe and Arod trying desperately to make sure she doesn't embarrass herself too much.). "I believe that we just won! I believe that we just won!" Flash forward- WE GOT A DAMN TICKER TAPE PARADE! We were the first women's team to be honored with a ticker tape parade. Then the gals got keys to the city, which was pretty cool. OK- victory tour!!
Heartbreak, call ups, freedom, backups, stand offs

Ok, so basically my heart broke 5 times  between Boxxy, Chups, Chens, and Abby. Then again with Pinoe. But we got new call ups, like Horan, Hinkle, Sonnet, McC, and Sweet Baby Rose. Jill finally freed HAO and played Ash and Alyssa. We also held firm with the federation. We took a stand against turf, especially terribly laid down turf. The gals had to cancel a game in order to stay safe. Which is utterly unacceptable, by the way. Also. AROD IS PREGNANT!! THERE IS GONNA BE A BABY ROD!! But that means Tobs has to pitch jump alone... BUT THERE IS GONNA BE A BABY ROD!!

Anyways

2015 was full of moments of fears (when moe went down), tears (retirements), injustices (WWC on turf), and injuries (Pinoe). But...
2015 was fulfilled with moments of triumph (WC victory), unity (Captivating a nation), cheers (Just a casual hat trick), and memories. (You know, just the whole year in general...)

So thanks to 2015. Thanks for captivating a nation, which ultimately would change the lives of millions of little girls, and for changing the outlook on women's sports in general.

And here's to 2016. Here is to change. To young blood. Here is to bleeding RED WHITE AND BLUE this summer in Rio.
Here
Is
To
The
United
States
Women's
National
Team.
Here
Is
To
Unity.
Here
Is
To
Fight.
Here
Is
To
Victory.

REMEMBER WHEN?!!!????!?? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH SORRY YALL I PROBABLY JINXED THE ENTIRE YEAR