By Your Side. (32) - Epilogue

This entire book was loosely based around that song ---> Oh My My My by Taylor Swift. While I was looking for wedding song for Dylan and Jude, watermelonsushi gave me this song to look at. And so, By Your Side was born. The lyrics told a story that I wanted so badly to write about. So thank you! Though I am a big Taylor and would have found it on my own (eventually) lol.

So here's to Taylor and the fan that sent me that song! (Trust me--there's an even bigger blurb below lol this is just a piece.)

*

Phoebe's POV:

"Do you remember when you first got your period?"

I didn't even know that it was possible to choke on ice cream. I hacked and coughed, turning extremely red (and not just because there was ice cream stuck in my throat). Archer's eyes widened and he began fluttering.

Not literally, of course. He just did that little movement that mothers do when their children fall down and scrape their knees.

Although the whole 'maniac tried to kill us both' thing was a few months ago, he still got anxious if I was away for so much as five minutes.

I couldn't really get mad at him of course, because I was the same. You kind of freak out when your best friend, not to mention mate, dies right in front of you...

Then again, I was seriously considering killing Archer right now. The guys playing in the yard had completely frozen, football forgotten as they stared at me.

It was a hot day. I was enjoying the start of summer, sitting in the shade of the porch with Archer. We'd been relaxing and watching some guys and girls play football when he asked the question out of the blue.

The ice cream went down in a harsh swallow as I glared at Archer.

He rubbed his neck awkwardly. "That came out wrong."

"Really?" I asked with malice. "How would you possibly re-word that sentence, Archer? 'Do you remember when you finally hit puberty?' 'Do you remember when--"

"I get it, I get it," he grinned, but it wasn't going to get him out of this one. Nope. It was not--

Crap.

I directed what was left of my fast-withering glare to the guys on the field. They suddenly looked very busy.

Archer sat back down (he'd completely stood up during my choking fiasco) and smiled at me again, slightly red. God knows I was the color of a stop sign.

"Seriously though, do you remember?"

"I try not to," I said plainly.

But I remembered perfectly.

When? Ninth grade, near Christmas. (I was a late bloomer.) Where? Fourth period. Archer just so happened to be escorting me that day and told me that I, quote, "Smelled funny. Like, kind of good."

So gross. So, so gross. I finally realized what was happening when he said that and tried to get away quickly, but he was so damn persistent. So I told him. Yelled it, actually.

Archer, red faced and stammering, had escorted me to the nurse's office, then proceeded to stay while the nurse helped me out and called my dad.

When I'd convinced my dad that he didn't have to drive down to the school (and hit a few pedestrians in the process) and left the office, he was there. He didn't say anything embarrassing, just walked me to his locker. He skipped class to stay with me while I changed into some of his extra clothes.

And all he ever said was, "I'm here 'cause you need me."

And he was. Through the cramps and everything. When I was grouchy and snarling at him, through thick and thin.

Still, I could have died from embarrassment. Still can.

"Yes, I remember it."

"And what did I say?"

I repeated the quote that I had thought aloud. He nodded, satisfied. "Exactly. Finish your ice cream."

And that was it. I stared at him for a few minutes, then put my spoon back into the bowl of delicious, melting French vanilla ice cream.

I did as I was told, but on the last bite there was something hard...

I frowned and as Archer watched eargerly, licked around the thing then spat into my hand.

I stopped breathing, staring wide eyed at the thing in my hand. My eyes flitted from Archer back to the round, silver ring. The diamond wasn't large but not exactly tiny either, the perfect size.

I set my bowl onto the space beside me, still completely speechless. My eyes flitted to Archer, who looked utterly nervous.

"It's just...I'm leaving for college in the fall and I love you. I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I got your father's permission--he nearly made me wet myself by the way--and I really, really love you, Phoebe, you have no idea..." he trailed off.

My mouth opened and closed. "I'm sixteen," I said dumbly.

"I know, which is why it's more of a promise ring than anything. I just thought that it'd be great to, you know, have something that said that you're mine." His face hardened. "It'll ward off those douchey little high school boys who dare try and well, you know."

He looked at my face and his softened as he slid off the bench, onto his knee in front of me. He was so tall that he could cup my face easily. 

"Please." He finally said.

I threw myself at him. He caught me, grinning like a maniac, and kissed my firecely, pecking me on the face and lips and nose, anywhere his lips could reach.

"I'm guessing that this is a yes?" He mumbled as I caught his lips again. 

I nodded quickly, kissing him. He pulled back. "Please say it."

"Yes. I will marry you, you big idiot," I giggled, letting him slide the ring onto my finger than ducking down for another kiss. 

There were flashes of light that was Jude taking pictures, my dad's booming laughter, Dylan chuckling, the twins eewing, but I wasn't paying any attention. I was just so incredibly happy that I could--

Uh oh.

There was that familiar pull, then we landed hard on the ground, Archer still beneath me. I pulled up and rested on my hands, splayed above him as I looked around. 

We were in a field of flowers. Archer blinked at the sun, looking slightly disoriented. "Phoebe?"

"Oops," I offered. We sat in silence for a moment, then he shrugged. "Screw it."

And then he pulled my face back to his.

*

And they lived Happily Ever After...

I'd like to thank everyone for your support, if I started naming names the list would go on endlessly. You guys are completely awesome for staying with me through this entire thing, laughing and crying and screaming with me. Thank you for your ideas and love via cybercpace, I could not have finished this without it.

Will there be another sequel? I don't think so. Maybe in the far future, but I'd like to finish some of my other stories first.

The questions about Archer's powers will go unanswered, though I'm sure if you think hard enough you'll figure it out. :)

Vote! Comment! Fan, Add to Your Library.

Love,

S.G.R.