Chapter 9: Discoveries

Rebecca listened to the sound of the water flowing through the third floor. It was calming and helped her focus on what was happening at the moment. Lady Erin, who insisted that she simply be called Erin, had taken Rebecca down to the floor below, so as to allow the six sages of the Phoenix temple to question Ty. Rebecca and Erin had left as Tim came into the massive meditation room and stood to watch.

Erin had gently kissed Tim on the way out, and Rebecca could see a tender and longing look in the large dark man's eyes. They parted with a smile and Rebecca followed as Erin led her out. Walking with her hand through Rebecca's arm, they strolled along the water's edge, surrounded by the stone pillars, as though they were sisters.

"Tell me," Erin said lightly, almost excitedly, "What did you first think of my temple when you entered."

Rebecca looked about, then back at Erin's smiling face. She blushed slightly and bowed her head, "To be honest, I didn't think much. It was so overwhelming."

"Yes, but after that, when you had regained your mind?"

"I still don't know if I have had anything outside of awe cross my mind. This is all new to me. Not just this Temple, but the whole situation I have been placed in. I don't know how to describe any of my feelings." Rebecca was comfortable with Erin, normally not one for encroached personal space, she was fine with how close the Lady was to her. Her consent smile, and seemingly normal candor in such an odd place made it easier still to speak with her.

"Well, I love this place. My family comes from all over, Mexico, Egypt, Iran, Japan. My lineage is diverse and wonderful. And this is my testament to them, a love letter to every part of me."

"It's so beautiful, and so foreign. I have never seen a real temple, let alone one on top of a skyscraper," Rebecca said.

"Had you never spent time with the Magi, or the like?" Erin asked.

"No," Rebecca answered. "Less than twenty-four hours ago I had no idea this entire world existed. Fairies, and Pixies and Gremlins."

"Gremlins?" Erin asked, slightly concerned.

"Yeah, when we were leaving my house, they had attacked us."

"Attacked YOU!?"

"Well, yeah, my truck, and they seemed determined to take Ty with them."

Erin gave a small hum, as if pondering on a puzzle.

"What will happen with Ty?" Rebecca said, sounding as if she was pleading. Erin snapped out of her almost trance like state and smiled again at Rebecca.

"Oh, of course we will try to figure out what happened to him, and the appropriate course of action."

"By that you mean?" Rebecca pressed.

"Ty is a bit of a mystery to us," Erin began. "His sister and he are orphaned, which means we have no idea of their blood line. And they were taken in by a Magi who did not hail from this area. Which means, they, their mentor and their teachings are completely unknown to us."

"But they are still Magi."

"Most possibly. I doubt a normal person would find himself in a situation where they are stuck in a bottle, and as calm as Ty is about it, it would seem he is somewhat accustom to magic."

"He's not calm. He seems like he is, but he is freaking out."

"Is that so? You have gotten to know him that well in the last day?"

"It's been a long day."

"I suppose so," Erin's smile widened in sly knowledge. "But none the less, I'm not down here to speak about Ty. I'm here for you." They came to small chairs around another tea set, and the two ladies took their seats.