Chapter 6

The following morning Cora woke up before anyone else. Deciding it was best to let them rest, she began her morning routine, as quietly as she could. Thankfully, she had her own bathroom attached to her bedroom and didn't have to worry about the shower making too much noise.

After dressing in a pair of faded jeans and a light blue t shirt, Cora padded down the stairs barefoot. Once in the kitchen she dug through her cabinets and fridge. Damn. Looks like she'd have to go shopping. Having three fully grown men in the house meant that she would have to stock up.

She decided on bacon, eggs and toast. Guys liked that sort of stuff, didn't they?

After getting the bacon and eggs going, Cora started the coffee. Hearing someone clear their throat behind her, Cora turned. "Good morning Bucky! Would you like some coffee? Breakfast is almost ready."

Bucky hesitated, not being used to people treating him in such a friendly manner.

Cora pulled out a chair at the table and motioned for him to sit. "It's alright Bucky."

Slowly he moved to the chair, being grateful she had given him one with his back to the wall. Once he was sitting, Cora placed a fresh mug of coffee in front of him, and a plate of food.

They ate in silence until Cora asked "How is your knee doing?"

"A little stiff but otherwise alright." Bucky spoke quietly and took a drink of his coffee.

"Good. I'm glad it's doing better." Cora flashed him a smile.

Bucky stared at his food for a moment, then asked "Why are you being so nice to me? You don't even know me."

Cora thought for a moment before replying. "You're right I don't. The only things I know about you are things that Steve has told me. But I trust Steve, with all my heart. I know he wouldn't have brought you here if he thought it was dangerous for me to be around you."

"That still doesn't explain why you are being so nice to me."

"I'm a nice person by nature. I take care of people. I look after them. I even work part time at a nursing home and volunteer on my days off because I enjoy it so much. It's in my nature and if I'm not doing something, I feel completely useless. Steve told me how close the two of you were before, and what happened during the war. I know what it's like to lose someone you so desperately care about. The fact that the two of you have a chance to be friends again that's really...special. I hope we can get to know each other better, Bucky. I hope we can be friends."

"I have a bad past. One that almost caused me to kill Steve. I still don't fully remember myself. I remember Steve. I remember that we were friends. But more than that....I haven't really remembered anything."

"I know," Cora reached out and placed a hand over Bucky's. "I don't care about your past. All I care about is the man sitting in front of me. And the fact that he's letting his breakfast get cold."

Bucky gave a half hearted laugh. "No wonder Steve has a thing for you. You remind me a lot of how he used to be. Always willing to find the good in people, especially when they couldn't see it themselves."

Cora smiled at that. "Thank you Bucky. Now finish eating. If you need me I'll be out front working in the flower bed."

***Small time jump. About 30 mins***

"Need some help?"

Cora wiped the back of her hand across her forehead and stood up. Smiling, she motioned at Bucky to come down off the porch. "Sure!"

"This is a huge flower bed. It's more like a garden....with no plants." Bucky looked around at the almost completely bare area of earth. The only plants there were besides weeds, were several tall grasses, and bushes that sat against the porch wall.

"Hey! It has....some plants. And once it gets going there will be a lot more. Irises, roses, those little flowers that look like hearts..." Cora pointed out sections of the bed where different flowers would be planted. "This flower bed was my grandmother's pride and joy. She worked it for years, every year it got a bit bigger."

Cora showed Bucky an area where he could work pulling weeds while she went back to her area to do the same.
***Steve's point of view. An hour or so later.***

Steve blinked his eyes open in the early morning sun. Raising his hand to shield his eyes, he jumped a bit, not remembering where he was.

Sitting bolt upright in bed, his memory came back, going from random general thoughts to cohesive ones. He was at Cora's.
He stood, stretching, hearing some if his joints pop. His ribs were still a little sore, but the bruising had healed and was now nothing more than a slight dark spot on his skin. Removing the bandage from his hip, he saw that the bullet wound was now scabbed over as though it'd happened weeks ago.

"Hey Buck, wake up-" Steve frowned when he stepped back and realized Bucky's bed was empty. "Bucky?" Worry began to pull at his chest and he ran down the hall to Sam's room. Throwing the door open he yelled "Bucky's gone!"

Running down the stairs Steve checked in every room. Had Bucky broken his promise? Had he run away?

Sam made his way down the stairs, covering his mouth as he yawned. "Dude. Calm down. I'm sure Bucky is fine. He's probably with Cora."

"Huh?" Steve stopped in his search long enough to watch Sam go into the kitchen and begin to make himself a plate.

"Look, Cora even made us breakfast and coffee. Come eat."
Steve walked into the kitchen and glared at Sam. "How can I eat when Bucky is missing? After everything we went through. Sam, I can't lose him again."

"Did you look outside?" Sam took a swig of his coffee.

"Outside?" How had he not thought of that? "No..."

Just then the sound of the front door opening, followed by Cora's laughter met their ears.

Sam gave Steve a look. "Uh-huh."

Coming into the kitchen, Cora looked at Steve, frowning at the worry lines on his face she asked "Steve, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," Steve shook his head, just making a fool of myself, he thought in his head. "What's so funny?"

"Bucky was just telling me some stories from when you were younger." Cora patted Steve one the shoulder then made him a plate of food.

"Thanks," Steve took the plate then sat down. "Nothing too embarrassing I hope." He glared in Bucky's direction.

"Nah," Bucky shrugged. "I told her about all the times I had to save your ass, Punk."

"Gee, thanks. Jerk."

Cora laughed at their banter. "Now, now boys. Play nice." She winked at Steve. "And don't worry. It was nothing bad...you certainly were persistent though. Weren't you?"

Steve blushed and looked away. "I guess."