I open my bag as we walk to the part of the territory with the ponds. I take a bite out of the meat and smile. “This tastes good,” I say to Suzanne.

          “Well it always does,” she replies and takes a piece of hers and eats it.

           I laugh. I take sight of a pond and grin. “Let’s sit over there, okay?” I ask her.

          “Sure,” Suzanne says.

          We walk over to the area and sit on a stone that lies by the water. I take off my shoes and put them in the water and smile. Suzanne does the same and continues to eat.

          “Remember the first time we met?” Suzanne suddenly asks. “You know, when we were six?”

          I nod, “Yeah. It was at school right?” I then ask.

          “Yup, it was. And some kid was being a complete jerk to me.” Suzanne says.

          “And that jerk was Cordon, who thought he could tease you just because he was two years older.” I say.

          Suzanne laughs. “And look at us two now, paired up as mates.” She giggles. “I remember how you pushed him into the water when he was pulling my hair.”

          I laugh. “Yeah, what did he say to you again?”

          “Um, I think he was calling me fat and ugly, and a weak girl.” Suzanne says.

          “Right, and I told him to stop or I’ll have my daddy come and put him in the dungeon.” I say.

          “Oh my god, I just remembered! You were obsessed with saying that!” remember when our teacher said that you couldn’t draw in class and you said,”

          “Oh I’m Annie, the princess of the tribe! You cannot tell me what to do or I’ll throw you in the dungeon!” I say finishing for her. We crack up laughing.

          “Yeah, that was when we were seven. We’ve been friends for a year, and our relationship gradually grew.” Suzanne says.

          “Remember that field trip we took to the Kivuli tribe?” I ask. “And that when we saw them, we thought they were the same things as us, but with wings instead of antennas?”

          She nods. “Yeah, and I remember that we jumped on one and we both demanded a ride. She disappeared and we looked everywhere for her.”

          I laugh. “Well that’s why they are so great at hiding,” I say. “They are the shadows of the sky.”

          Suzanne nods. “Yeah, remember that younger one we met, Flutter?”

          I nod. “Yes, we hung out with her the entire day. She was our age, right?”

          Suzanne nods. “Yeah, we were all eight at the time.”

          “Flutter had orange hair right?” I ask.

          Suzanne nods. “And amber eyes, with red, transparent wings.”

          I nod, “Right.”

          “How can we even remember that, yet we forget half the people we went to school with?” Suzanne asks and bursts out laughing.

          I laugh too and shake my head. “I don’t know!” I nearly scream.

          I look at the sky and the sun is up and the sky is now blue, instead of black. I’ve always wondered why time went by so fast. I look at Suzanne again.