8. Matt Duchene

I FINALLY GOT A BREAK FROM SCHOOL, WORK AND HOCKEY SO HERE YOU GO, MERRY CHRISTMAS/HAPPY HOLIDAYS HOMIES!

Requested by mrsmattduchene , sorry it took so long.

--

"Headed home for the holidays?"

I looked up from my book at the elderly woman sitting beside me. "Yeah. It was a bit of a spontaneous decision, luckily this flight still had room."

She nodded. "Is your boyfriend coming with you? Or is he already in Haliburton?"

I shook my head. "I don't have a boyfriend, actually."

She gasped. "Oh but you're much too pretty to be single! You can't tell me that there aren't any boys trying to win your heart."

I laughed. "Well, there's a couple but I'm not interested."

"Let me guess, you fell in love with a boy, but he broke your heart and now you're afraid to love someone." She sighed as she looked at my face. "I'm correct, aren't I?"

"He didn't break my heart so much as he took a piece of it when he left. I've only seen him once since I moved to New York."

"Are you going home in hopes of seeing him this year?" she asked.

I shrugged. "Mostly I just miss my family. There is some hope that he'll be there, but there's also some anxiety in seeing him after so long."

She smiled. "Tell me all about him."

"His name is Matt, he plays hockey in Colorado. We had been dating for almost two years before he moved, and we tried to do a long distance relationship but it only lasted for about six months before I decided I couldn't do it anymore."

She listened intently throughout the rest of our flight as I told her all about him. As we were collecting our luggage she gave me a hug. "I hope everything works out between you and Matt, you clearly still love him. Merry Christmas."

**

"Just a heads up, Matt might be inside."

I stared at my sister as she got out of the car and started walking towards the front door. "You're just gonna casually drop a bomb on me like that?" I slammed the car door shut after slinging my bag over my shoulder and followed her up the front steps.

She rolled her eyes as she laid her hand on the doorknob. "It's not certain yet. I know his parent's are here, but I didn't see him come in before I left." She gave me a smile. "You'll be fine."

I followed her into the house and nearly fell over as my brother rushed over to hug me.

"Welcome home," he said as he somewhat gently poked my sides. "It's about time you came back, I may or not have missed you."

I laughed. "I may or not have missed you too, (Y/B/N)."

He took my bags from me and pointed over to the kitchen. "Mom is in there with Matt's mom, I'm sure they could use someone with actual culinary skills unlike (Y/S/N)'s."

My sister sighed. "I burnt something one time, and they won't let it go."

After saying hello to my dad, and Matt's dad, I headed into the kitchen where my sister, mom, and Matt's mom were.

"You know, I was starting to think you had forgotten about us." My mom joked before she gave me a hug. "It's nice to know you haven't."

I hugged Matt's mom and took a seat beside her at the table. "Where's Matt?"

"Still on his flight, I'm guessing. He hasn't called me since this morning," she sighed.

"You two did end on good terms right?" my mom enquired. "There won't be any awkward tension?"

"No tension at all," I lied.

**

"You're here!"

I turned as Matt walked into the living room. I looked at my sister and she sighed before motioning for me to follow her upstairs. She led me into her room and closed the door.

"What do I do?"

She shrugged. "Talk to him? Tell him how you feel so you can work things out. I know you guys haven't talked since you broke up but maybe it's the only way you'll move on."

"(Y/N)? (Y/S/N)? Are you in here?" my mom asked from outside the door. "It's time for dinner, come downstairs!"

I followed my sister downstairs and nervously entered the dining room where everyone was already seated. Matt was beside his mom and my brother, already deep in conversation with my dad about how things were going for the Avalanche.

I slid into my seat beside my sister at the opposite end of the table and tapped my foot anxiously as grace was said. Everything was fine, until Matt's dad decided to bring all attention to me.

"So (Y/N), how's that job New York?"

"Good," I replied. "I was actually offered a job promotion yesterday. I have until Monday to decide if I want it or not."

"Oh, sweetheart, that's great!" my mom said excitedly. "You are taking it right?"

"Well, it would require me to move. There's two cities where I could go but I don't know if it would be worth it."

"What cities?" my dad asked.

"Seattle or Denver."

**

"(Y/N)? Can we talk?"

I nodded and followed Matt outside to the front porch.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Good, I guess. You?"

"Great."

We stood in silence for a minute before he spoke up.

"Take the promotion."

"I don't know if I'm ready to move again, Matt. The only reason I was willing to move to to New York was because I'd have my best friend with me. I won't have her in Seattle or Denver."

"But if you take the one in Denver you'll have me." He tilted my head up to look me in the eyes. "I still love you, (Y/N)." He took a step towards me to close the gap between us and took my hands. "Be my girlfriend again, and move to Denver with me. Please."

"Someone was probably going to convince me to take the promotion anyway," I said, a smile forming on my lips. "It's just a bonus that you want me to move to Denver with you. And yes, I'll be your girlfriend again."

He grinned and kissed me. "I've missed you." He pulled me into him and rested his head on top of mine. "I've missed this."

"I've missed you too. A lot."

"Just get married already!" my sister shouted from the window.

I laughed and looked up at Matt. "That can wait a little bit."

He shrugged. "Only if you want it to."

---

A/N

WORLD JUNIORS TOMORROW !!!! I'm Canada af and I'm very excited tbh. Also, my boyfriend got me tickets to the Dallas/Columbus game on Tuesday so I'm basically crying. If all goes as planned, I'll have an imagine up by Friday.
Fun fact: the lady on the airplane is based off a lady I met on a flight to Philadelphia on my way to see my boyfriend. She was so nice and she asked me all about him and her name was Adele which was just fab and I don't even know why I'm telling you guys about her lmao