The Lonely Mountain

Chapter Nine--- The Lonely Mountain

"It's about time we were leaving," Thorin finally decided after spending a fortnight in Lake-Town.

I nodded to him, and gathered up all my weapons. He must have waited for me to come back, which surprised me. I'd spent most of the time while they were in the town up at the edge of the forest, I'd managed to get one of the rowers to tell Legolas to come down and we'd spent the time hunting, talking, and practicing. He was getting better at close combat thanks to me.

The Master was very happy to see us go I noticed. I didn't like the looks of him at all. The dwarfs and Bilbo took a raft down the lake while I decided I would walk with their ponies and my horse.

After three days I meant them at the river and their guides from the town left us. I turned my gaze to the mountain as the others packed supplies onto their ponies.

"What can you see?" Someone asked me. I looked down from my perch on my horse and saw Kili staring up at me.

I sighed, "I see a mountain. It's not like I can see through it."

"Right," he muttered.

We spent the night there before finally setting out across the land towards the mountain. It was a silent journey, everyone was on edge.

We made it to the mountain all the same, without meeting any dangers or dragons.

We set up camp on the western side of the southern spur near a height called Ravenhill.

Thorin sent Balin, Fili, Kili, and Bilbo out to scout the front gate.

"I should have gone with them," I pushed. "I have the best eyes of all of us, if anyone would spot anything it would be me."

Thorin shook his head, "You're not going. Leave it to them."

I rolled my eyes, Throin still hated me.

The next few days were spent moving camp and looking for a path up the mountain. For days everyone came back without success, but Thorin still wouldn't send me too far from the camp. I hated how little he trusted me.

Whereas all the other dwarfs loved me. Every night they would get me to tell stories of Rivendell and just anything I knew. It would help to raise their very low spirits a little.

Then one day, finally, Thorin sent me out with Fili, Kili, and Bilbo to find the passage. We went to the southern end of the valley, and by midday, I'd discovered the stairs on the side of the mountain they were looking for. The four of us climbed up to find a little cave like place that was still open to the sun, but not visible from below. We knew that it had to be the door and tried to find a way to open it. But no spells of opening in any language would work to open it.

There was excitement in the camp that night, as we prepared to move camp, leaving only Bofur and Bombur to watch the horses.

The passage was too small for us to carry anything up it, but everyone brought a rope so we could hoist the food and supplies up.

And there we stayed.

I spent most of the time sitting next to Bilbo, gazing out over the land. Although I'm sure it was much more entertaining for me since I could see what was going on in Lake-town. He couldn't.

I could also see the tree line of Mirkwood, though it wasn't as sharp as Lake-town. Some times I thought I saw a very familiar head of blond hair and blue eyes peeking out from behind the trees.

Then one day, when all our hopes were especially low, something happened.

Bilbo and I were just sitting there like any other day, I was watching the Lake-town people, when Bilbo jumped up.

"A crack! A crack!" He exclaimed. He ran to hail the dwarfs, and I examined it. Sure enough, there were a few tiny cracks in the rock behind us.

Soon enough all the dwarfs were up on the ledge, save Bombur, who was sleeping. Bilbo explained the circumstance to them, and we waited for the right time.

When all hope was about to be gone with the sun, a gleam if red light hit the side if the mountain, and a hole suddenly appeared about three feet above the ground. I rolled my eyes, of course it was dwarf size.

"The key, the key!" Bilbo cried. "Where is Thorin?"

Thorin rushed forward and drew the key from a chain around his neck. He put it into the hole, and it fit! He turned it, and something clicked inside.

We all pushed together, and slowly a part of the rock wall gave way. Long straight cracks appeared and widened. A door five feet high and three feet was outlined and slowly without a sound swung inwards.

Of course it was a foot smaller than me, what else.

I snapped my fingers like I had what felt like years ago in Bilbo's home to make myself dwarf size. I hated the feeling of being short, it felt like the whole world grew in size and like I had shrunk in size and importance. How the dwarfs and hobbits deal with it all the time I had no clue.

I'm pretty sure all the dwarfs were looking at me in awe, so I just shrugged.

"Now is the time for our esteemed Mr. Baggins," Throin started. "Who has proved himself a good companion on our long road, and a hobbit full of courage and resource far exceeding his size, and if I may say so possessed of good luck far exceeding the usual allowance-now is the time for him to preform the service for which he was included in our Company; now is the time for him to earn his Reward."

What, and I didn't get one?

"If you mean you think it is my job to go into the secret passage first, O Thorin Thràin's son Oakenshield, may your beard grow even longer," Bilbo said crossly, "say so at once and have done! I might refuse. I have got you out of two messes already, which were hardly in the original bargain, so that I am, I think, owed some reward. But 'third time pays for all' as my father used to say, and somehow I don't think I shall refuse. Perhaps I have begun to trust my luck more than I used to in the old days, but anyway I think I will go and have a peep at once and get it over. Now who is coming with me?"

When no one but Balin volunteered, I raised my hand. "I'll go with you. I may not have a magic ring," I said that with a bitter taste in my mouth, "but I do have the best eyes and hearing of any of us. I might be able to see something Bilbo won't be able to, giving us more information on how to defeat the dragon."

I knew I had to make my point to Thorin, otherwise he would never let me go.

"Let her go Thorin," Kili pushed. I smiled at him, and turned back to Thorin.

"Please?"

He sighed, "Fine, you can go."

I smiled, and nodded to Bilbo.

We both approached the door, along with Balin, who would stop about half way down in case we needed help, which I highly doubted.

I looked into the blackness and pulled my bow off my shoulder, and got an arrow ready. The three of us exchanged glances, and plunged into the darkness that was Erebor.

~~**~~

A/N: I'm sooo sorry it's such a short chapter! I kinda can't wait to get to the battle of five armies because FIGHTING. Anywho, I really want to know what you guys think of this, and if it's any good or not. And I really wanna know who's reading this, badly! So I would love it if you guys would leave comments, criticism or nice things, I don't care, I just wanna hear what you guys think of this really badly! So uh, am I the only one that can't wait for the Desolation of Smaug? And OMG the video of Orlando! I DIED. Crying and laughing. I can't believe they're done filming... I'm gonna cry again. No more Leggy... or Gandalf.. or anyone. I seriously think I'm going to die. I know how the avid Harry Potter fans feel now. Wait. They should make a Lord of the Rings theme park like Harry Potter world (best place ever by the way, I was there in November). I'm pretty sure it would be epic and I'd force my mom to take me. Ok, I'm done ranting to you guys now, sorry!

Love,

Kateeeee