The Misty Mountains

Chapter Four-- The Misty Mountains

As we climbed through the mountains, the terrain got harder steeper, and more rocky.

I walked right behind Gandalf, since I was now at my full height, which was much taller than all the dwarfs.

"You knew, didn't you?" I asked him as we walked. "You knew exactly who I was, yet you still wanted me to come. Why?"

"You need to see the world, understand its dangers."

"That's not why," I countered. I could tell, in his voice and my mother's, that was not the real reason they were letting me go.

He sighed, "I, we, thought that soon some of the more intelligent dangers will realize what we're doing, and raid Rivendell looking for you. By getting you out into the world, we're showing them that you don't only stay there, possibly delaying or stopping an attack."

"If anyone were to attack Rivendell, I would defend it to my last breath."

"That's exactly what we're afraid of."

"Why are you so keen to keep me alive?"

"You're something new to this world, we're not going to give that up lightly."

I sighed, and continued with the trek through the mountains.

Within a few hours of leaving Rivendell, rain started pouring down onto our little group. The mountain passed proved to be much harder than I first thought, especially once the rain started up.

A huge bolder crashed into the mountain above us, and rained down pebbled and broken rocks. In the gloom, I watched as a huge mountain took the form of a person, but none of the others saw it yet. Elves have much better eye sight and hearing then most creatures do.

"Storm Giants!" One of the dwarfs cried when he finally saw the thing. The Storm Giant plucked off a chunk of mountain, and threw it at the mountain we were on. Our mountain started to break apart, right in between Fili and Kili. Fili got stuck on the far side, and Kili was with me on the inside.

The entire mountain moved, as it too took the shape of a person. They both started grabbing rocks from the mountains, and tossing them at each other. Our mountain man stumbled, and all of us on the closer leg scrambled back onto solid ground. We watched in terror as the mountain the others were on, fell just above us. We scrambled up after them, and found then all laying there alive. Well, almost all of them.

"Where's the hobbit? Where's Bilbo?" I cried.

Everyone turned to the cliff face, and saw him hanging there, holding on for dear life.

I ran over to the edge, and held out my hand to him. Being as tall as I am, I was able to reach far enough, and pull him back onto the cliff, no problems. I'm pretty sure some of the dwarfs were astonished to see a woman pull up a hobbit with one arm, serves them right for thinking women can't be muscular.

"I thought we'd lost our burglar," one of the dwarfs commented.

"He's been lost ever since he left home," Thorin replied coldly. "He should have never come. At least the elf can fight, so I'm told."

I rolled my eyes, and followed him up into a cavern where they planned to stay the night. I took the liberty of searching the place for goblins, being as I had the best sight, but found nothing in the little cave.

"We'll rest here, and start again at daybreak," Thorin announced.

"I'll take first watch," I volunteered. I was not in the mood for sleeping.