Part 9

*Skylar P.O.V.*

"how do you work at a skate station and not know how to skate?" I laughed while asking Niall.

"I-im sorry..." He said silently. Ugh I just wanted to hug him right then and there. But I didn't need the 3 stooges accusing things between us. The last thing I wanted was people thinking I was cheating on Jake. I loved him and I know he loves me just as much. I wonder what he is doing anyway...

"Aww its ok Niall. I'll teach you how" I smiled. "Cmon buddy"

I stepped out into the rink and turned to look at Niall again. "Let's go scaredy cat!" I teased. He looked up at me with watery eyes and began to walk away. What just happened?!

I skated back on the carpet and went after him.

"Hey what's wrong?" I spoke softly.

"Nothing...." He said looking at the ground.

"was it something I said?" I asked. Hoping it wasn't. He looked at me and simply said no but I could tell it probably was.

"Well I'm sorry if it was... You coming to skate now?" I bent down to meet his gaze from the floor.

His expression lighted and I grabbed his hand. I set foot in the rink easily. Niall? Not so well.

He tumbled onto the waxy floor with a loud thud landing in his back. I tried really hard to hold in my laughter.

"Niall are you ok?" I chucked. His eyes met with mine and I felt myself being pulled in again. I was stopped by hearing a few snickers to my left. I looked over and Zoe, Sophie, and Lena were all looking over and smiling. Oh gosh.

"uh...yea...I think so" he said. Relying on my arm to pull him back up to his feet.

"k let's take it slowly this time ok?"

I linked arms with him and slowly glided forward. His face showing he was fully concentrating on his balance.

" You think you got it?" I asked.

"Yea I think so" he said excitedly. His Irish accent making me smile.

I slowly let go of his arm and began to skate backwards so I could keep an eye on him.

I watched his foot posture and noticed his skate was untied. At that very moment, the lace got caught on the wheel and he face planted onto the floor.

"Don't.....got it" he groaned. I chucked.

"maybe skating just isn't your thing Niall" I laughed.

"clearly" he said rubbing his back. He crawled back over to the side of the rink we stared on, choosing that he wasn't going to skate any longer. Some people swerved around him, or attempted to jump over him as he crawled across the middle of the rink. I observed him and couldn't help but laugh. His presence was just so adorable. He seemed fragile. Nerdy even. He needed a friend. And I'm here for him.

Thinking that made me smile at the ground and head over to Zoe, Sophie, and Lena.

"really hitting it off with Niall huh sky?" Lena teased.

"Oh shush..." I said.

"Sky are you.....falling for him?" Sophie stated.

"Pfft no...whaat?" I said. My voice getting really high pitched on the 'what'.

Zoe gasped. "You are aren't you?!"

"I don't know what your talking about...." I rushed away.

"Some exit you had there Niall" I chuckled sitting beside him.

"Thanks I learned it myself" he said. "You know... being bullied and all you learn those kind of thi-"He stopped. Clearly showing he thought he'd said too much. my heart cringed at thought of Niall on the floor, being at the mercy of another person way bigger than him, kicking and punching him until they grew tired.

"....Niall?" I started. My voice cracking.

"M-my shift is nearly over. I-i gotta go." He walked away.

"Hey Niall?" I spoke softly walking over to him.

"I'm here ok?....I know we kinda just met yesterday but....I'm here" I said wiping a tear from his eye.

"Come here Niall" I says wrapping my arms around him. He followed the gesture and hugged me tightly. I didn't mind. Somehow I felt the need I had to protect him. Even though I just met him.

He pulled away with a sniff.

"See ya sky" he replied, walking away a second time. He actually called me by my nickname!!

I returned my skates and headed out the door with my friends. Tonight had been.....interesting.