Chapter 12

"Phil is everything alright?" Linda asked as Phil walked slowly into their house. It wasn't hard to tell that something wasn't right, he looked distant and quietly devastated. She quickly stopped what she was doing to rush over to her son. "What happened?" It came out as more of a demand than a question.

"I don't know if Dan and I are together anymore." He mumbled weakly before using the sleeves of his jumper to wipe away the tears. "I think I want to be alone." He sniffled softly as he edged away from her. Linda nodded before running a hand over his cheek. She couldn't help him this time.

"I just don't understand how you don't know though." She whispered, how could you not? Phil shrugged as he swallowed a hiccup. He knew he must look pathetic crying and shaking in the living room but he couldn't stop himself. "Tell me what to do, tell me how to help you." She offered as she pulled him into an embrace despite his halfhearted attempts to stop her.

"Don't make me go back there, please, let me go back to Eastbrook. Dan doesn't want me, I can't go back." He sobbed allowing himself to breakdown. His mother shushed him. She wished she could have kept him from heartache. But this wasn't something she could make better with a kiss and a band aid.

Getting up and going to school the next day had been hell for Dan. It was as if all his senses had dulled and the world that was once a kaleidoscope of colors had settled into a dark gray. He hadn't bothered to tell his parents but he was sure they knew. They hadn't said anything but he knew disappointment when he seen it. Already he was missing Phil.

He would have skipped class that day but he knew he'd have to face Phil at some point. There wasn't any rush though to walk into the building. First hour came and went and it didn't take long for Dan to realize that Phil hadn't showed up at all. There was no one to talk to in class, no one to laugh with in the halls, no hand to hold. Dan sighed softly as he shuffled along, he could take his time getting to class now that he didn't have to walk Phil to his.

"Thank God." He mumbled as he noticed Chris and PJ by one of their lockers, he couldn't remember. They probably shared one anyway. "Hey, what are you guys doing?" Dan asked, finally being able to break the silence that had followed him around all day.

"Oh, hello Asshole." Chris said, slamming the locker shut. "Not much, just furthering our education." So they'd talked to Phil already. Dan figured something like that would happen. But they'd get over it, if he could so could they.

"Don't be like that..." Dan frowned, shifting on his heels uncomfortably. "I know you've already talked to him but I did what was best for both of us." PJ raised an eyebrow at him, neither of them looked very happy. "I'm not ready for anything so serious...and Phil is. I don't know what you want me to say."

"It's your life, I just hope you know what you're doing." PJ said as he leaned up against the lockers. He was about to say something else before Chris cut him off.

"No, don't give him that shit. If you're not ready to grow up that's fine but the way you did it was really fucked up. Phil was the best thing that ever happened to you. You're going to realize just how badly you messed up. You were lucky and you know what's even worse? He was our friend too." By the time Chris had finished his rant, his face was red and angry. The omega was almost out breath from trying to get everything out so quickly. Both alphas looked taken back by his outburst.

For once PJ didn't have anything to add. Chris summed everything up well enough. "You don't know anything. Not everyone can be like you two." Dan spat. "Some of us want to live, some of us want freedom." He quickly turned. He had nothing else to say to either of them. It was clear they'd taken sides and it wasn't his side they were on.