Chapter 11

Dan sat down at the kitchen table, still half asleep and only half alert. He poured himself a bowl of cereal in hopes that the sugar would help wake him up. He didn't want to have to resort to coffee but he would if he had to. "Morning." He mumbled to the two adults in the room. Both his mother and father looked wide awake and ready to tackle the day.

"Morning Hun, did you sleep well?" Dan nodded to his mother, sending her a sleepy smile. She nodded back in approval as she poured him a glass of orange juice and sat it down on the table for him. "Oh I wanted to let you know that I called the trip adviser, I went ahead and canceled that summer thing of yours." Dan dropped his spoon before spinning around in his seat to look at her.

"What, you mean the Australia trip?" He asked in shock. "Mum what are you talking about, you know I'm going, it's been paid for. I already have my ticket and everything, what do you mean you canceled it?" He couldn't have heard her right.

Westville had a program that Dan had waited three years to be invited to. Every year it sent a group of students to a different country for two months to study a different culture and broaden a student's horizons. That year's trip was to Australia, while it wasn't the place Dan had wanted to go he'd finally been given the chance and he wasn't about to pass that up. It looked wonderful on future applications and resumes. If you did well in the two month program Westville offered up more opportunities. He'd kept his grades up, showed an interest in the program, completed volunteer work, and overall worked hard to meet all the requirements.

"Don't worry son, your mother talked to them and they're willing to give us a full refund." His father added, taking another sip of his coffee. "I told her to let you talk to the adviser but she went ahead and did it for you."

Dan shook his head. "Why would you do that, I didn't want you to do that." He was too confused to sound angry, had he missed something? He had one summer left before his final year, he'd wanted to do something meaningful with it.

"Honey, you can't just pack up and go away for two months, you're someone's alpha. How do you think Phil's going to feel being alone for two months while you're out doing God knows what?" His mother huffed, not fully comprehending what her son didn't understand.

"I'm not going to be doing 'God knows what' I'm going to be learning shit, you know that!" Dan snapped, looking at her like she'd grown two heads. What did Phil have to do anything, while he hadn't talked to the omega about the trip, he knew he'd understand. Two months really wasn't that long, sure he'd miss him but it wasn't that big of a deal.

"Hey language." His father sighed, pushing his cup away. "And we know that, but you can't expect Phil to. Omega's don't like being without their alpha, it's hardly fair to him. How would you feel about him going away over the summer for two months?"

Dan paused as he took the thought into consideration. 'I wouldn't like it.' He thought to himself. 'But if it was something he really wanted to do I'd let him. I'd understand, wouldn't I?' It was more than Dan just having a summer holiday, it was a chance to excel and get ahead.

"Things are changing, you have someone else you need to think about now. You're going to have include your omega in on everything. And there are going to be sacrifices you have to make, Dan. It's the way it is. Life isn't all about you anymore, the welfare of someone else is in your hands." His mother frowned, grabbing a dishtowel and wiping down the counter.

"We're not even bonded yet! I think he can handle himself for two months." Dan's father sighed again, not liking the attitude that was being dished out. "This isn't fair, I didn't sign up for this. What about what I want, what about my dreams?"

"They come second. You know this, what have I been telling you for your whole life Daniel?" Dan stared at his father in disbelief. He'd always encouraged him to go after what he wanted, what changed? "If you're half the alpha you claim to be you're going to put your omega first. I suggest you get your priorities straight. An omega depends on you, bonded or not."