Chapter 2

A few weeks later Phil had traded out his blue blazer and tie for a red one with his new school emblem. He tried to appear confident on the way to Westville but in truth he was a nervous wreck. The thing about betas was that it was harder for them to pick up on subtle scent changes, an alpha or omega on the other hand would be able to notice it right away. Phil was silently thankful for his parent's weaker noses.

"Alright, here we are." His mother smiled as she pulled up to the massive school. "It is a lot bigger than Eastbrook isn't it?" She said softly while Phil nodded from the passenger seat. "If you have any problems just call me alright, I don't have to work today so I'll be home all day."

"I'm sure everything will be fine." Phil said, more for himself than for her. "I can probably walk home, it's closer than I thought."

"Oh honey are you sure you want to do that. It's not a problem for me to pick you up." Phil looked around the school again and decided that it just wasn't cool to have your parents dropping you off and picking you up.

"I'm okay, I think it'd be good for me...or something." Phil didn't see how but he went with it for the sake of not hurting her feelings. "I'll see you after school." He mumbled, trying again to smile and hide his inner fears. He grabbed his backpack and hopped out, sending her a small discreet wave.

She waved back before driving off and Phil became terrifyingly aware that he'd didn't actually have any real social skills. It was too late though, he was in the lion's den and there wasn't anything he could do about it.

Somehow he managed to find his way to the office and collect his schedule, of course the whole time he was getting looks. 'Stop being scared. They're gonna pick up on it.' He thought to himself as he willed mind to have positive thoughts instead of the fearful ones.

His first hour had been English, something he'd always been good at it. The class was the main building on the third floor in room K22. His old school only had one floor and not nearly as many class rooms or halls. Again another miracle that he'd found the room at all. He walked in not knowing what to expect.

The class was half full but the bell hadn't rung yet so he figured there would be a few more piling in in a couple minutes. "Um..." He mumbled, unsure of what to say to the woman at the front of the room.

"You must be the new student, its Phil Lester isn't it? Welcome!" The women smiled brightly and held out her hand for him. "My name is Mrs. Barr and I'll be your English teacher, this will also be your home room as well. Give me a moment and I'll find you a syllabus." Phil shook her hand slowly, she was an alpha. She wasn't young but she wasn't exactly older either. She had blond hair with friendly eyes, Phil was surprised to find she wasn't intimidated in the slightest.

"Thank you." He said softly as she shuffled around her desk until she found what she was looking for. He shifted awkwardly as he looked around the room. Nobody seemed exactly interested in him but the scents he was use to was suddenly mixed with that of alpha, beta, and omega. He knew that was going to take some getting use to.

"Alright, have a seat. We should start here in a couple minutes. Don't worry, we're starting a new unit so you've came at a great time." Phil nodded before turning back around. There were a couple empty seats but each on was had someone sitting on either side. Slowly he made his way to the back of the class, taking a seat next to another brown haired student. It was clear that he too was an alpha.

As it turned out the class was pretty normal, he took a couple notes and listened to her lecture. He'd already covered a lot of what they'd gone over at Eastbrook but he wasn't complaining. It just meant that he should have a better shot at getting a decent grade. Mrs. Barr assigned a chapter of reading but again, Phil had already read the Grapes of Wrath so he wasn't too concerned.