Chapter 4

Another couple of weeks passed, still the incident had scared Phil enough into being with people at all times. He'd refused to put himself in a place where something could happen again. At times he enjoyed the alphas. They weren't always like Dan or the one from the hallway, some were great like PJ.

He hadn't told his parents or anyone else, Dan knowing what had happened was enough. Even though Phil knew it wasn't his fault he didn't want to appear vulnerable ever again.

"Are you making friends?" His father asked as they all sat down at the table for dinner. Both his parents seemed desperate to get him to associate with betas and alphas. Their eyes were bright and hopeful as they waited for him to answer.

"Sort of, I hang out with Chris and PJ, there are couple other people but I haven't been there too long." He said picking up his fork and pushing a few things around on his plate. "But it's not so bad, I'm not begging to be transferred back or anything."

"Well that's all we can ask for isn't it?" His mother smiled, pushing a bowl of mashed potatoes towards him. "Anybody interesting?" She added, still trying to dig out as much information as she could.

"Uh, not really. Not yet anyway." Phil really was trying to make them happy. It was hard though, if he was an alpha or even a beta he knew they wouldn't be pushing so hard. He figured they just didn't want him to end up alone and unmated the rest of his life.

"No rush, we're just glad you gave it a try." His father added, putting on his best 'Go get 'em son' voice. "When it happens it'll happen."

"Any plans this weekend?" Phil's mother asked while she placed another chicken leg on his plate. "Surly there has to be something fun going on?" There was technically but Phil didn't think he'd be allowed to go. Not with his heat so close.

"There's a party that everyone is going to, Chris invited me but it's Saturday and I think it's too close to my heat." He shrugged, not wanting them to know he was disappointed that he'd have to miss it. "It's not a big deal, I'm sure somebody will throw another one soon."

"Well when is your heat?" She asked with a small frown. "You don't think you'd have time to go?" Phil had predicted that it would be Sunday or Monday but he was never very good at keeping track.

"It's probably Monday, I didn't think you'd want me to chance it." She sighed and pushed a severing bowl of corn towards him. "I can skip it, it doesn't bother me."

"I think you'd be alright to go, Monday is two days after your party. What do you think?" She asked turning to his father, wanting his opinion. "Don't think it'd be okay if he went?" Phil perked up a bit, so there was a chance of getting to go after all?

"I don't see any harm in it, if you're sure it's not till Monday." That was the problem though, Phil wasn't sure. He figured it was though and he couldn't be too off. So he nodded, giving him a pleading look. "Alright then, as long as you don't stay out too late. And before you ask three am is too late."

Phil nearly dropped his fork in surprise. "You're being serious, you're not kidding or anything?" His father had a bad habit about doing that.

"Am I being serious about coming home before three? Absolutely, I'm thinking one at the latest."
"No about letting me go, I can really go then?" Phil said, bouncing slightly in his seat. His mother piped up before his father got the chance.

"Yes Phil you can go, do you have a ride home?" She asked, wanting to be sure she wouldn't be making a midnight trip to pick him up.

"Yeah, PJ can take me home." Phil smiled brightly. While he probably could have survived not going, if he didn't have to be exclude, well than that was great. And his heat would probably start Monday like he figured it would, no harm no foul.

Right after dinner Phil called Chris to let him know that his parents had said it was fine to go.

"Hey that's great! I'm glad you can make it, it's going to be really fun you know? Just a way to cut back before finals." Chris said sounding chipper as always. "But there is this one thing that's changed." Phil blinked as he switched the phone to the other side of his ear. What could have changed in the two days since he'd been invited?

"What's that?" He asked, flopping down onto his bed.

"You know how PJ's car broke down?" Chris replied a bit hesitantly. "Well he can't get it fixed in time and I guess we're all riding with Dan now. That's not a problem right, because if it is I can probably ask to borrow my mom's car or something."

Phil's stomach twisted painfully but he knew he couldn't say anything. They liked Dan and so he had to at least try to get along. He wasn't going to be that one friend who caused problems.

"No it's fine! I don't mind, it's all fine." He said quickly as he sat back up on the bed. If his parents didn't work so late he'd probably ask to use one of theirs but he knew that would be pushing it. Plus he doubted they'd be home before everyone wanted to leave.

"Great! We'll probably stop and get something to eat and then head over to Jeff's...at least I think that's whose party it is. One of PJ's friends."

'Oh god so now I have to eat with him to!?' Phil thought, maybe he shouldn't go.

"Yeah cool, sounds great." He forced a laughed, already he was dreading the thought. He was starting to wonder why he'd even mentioned it to his parents. "I guess I've gotta go start my homework or something so I'll talk to you later?"

"You sure it's okay if we ride with Dan, last time we talked about him you...I don't know, it just seemed like you didn't like him or something." Phil swallowed hard as he tried to come up with something to say.

"No, no it's not that. I just don't know him very well. I'm okay with riding with him, it's not a big deal." Phil laughed again as he tried convince Chris that everything was fine.

"Alright great! Once you get to know him you'll really like him. I promise." Phil nodded, forgetting that Chris couldn't see.

"I'm sure I will! I'm uh, looking forward to seeing him." Phil lied once more. "But I'll talk to you later!" After saying a brief goodbye Phil hung up. He couldn't believe less than an hour ago he was excited about the party, now he just dreaded the thought of it. He mentally went over all the things Dan was going to say to him, that was if he even let him in the car.

"God you're an idiot." He sighed before letting himself fall back onto the bed. "This is going to be a disaster." And of course he was right.