July 5th, 2015

Chapter 31

The first thing I registered was an ache. I couldn't pinpoint the exact locations, emphasis on the plural. I think one was in my head, and the other near my stomach, but I couldn't be too sure.

My eyes were still closed, but I was conscious. I could feel something on my hand, a weight holding it, but it felt numb. I squeezed my fingers tighter, trying to figure out what was in my hand.

My eyes fluttered open, only to see white, and I instantly closed them again. It was too bright and was definitely not helping this massive headache of mine.

"Harry," I heard somebody breathe out in relief, and I recognized the voice, my eyes fighting the bright lights and shooting open. I realized the weight I had felt in my palm was a hand. And I slowly let my eyes trail from their fingers, up their arms, and finally to their face.

Gardenia.

"Harry," she said again, tears leaking from her eyes. I frowned, squeezing her palm, since it was a bit hard for me to move at the moment. I'm sure I could, but my muscles were in pain, and I didn't want to disrupt them.

"Gardenia," I croaked out, my voice sounding terrible. A cup was handed to me, a straw sticking out of the top, and I drank greedily.

"You're okay," she cried as she held the cup in front of my mouth. Three fourths of the contents were gone by the time I was done, and she set it back on the table.

"Don't cry," I whispered, not trusting my voice this time, although it sounded better than the last. I suppose the water helped.

"You idiot!" She forcefully said, as she continued crying. I nodded in response, knowing that I was an idiot and not disagreeing with her in the least.

"Why are you here?" I asked, moving my hand so our fingers were linked together. She was sitting in a chair near my bed, and looking around the small room, I realized it was only her and I in here. I briefly wondered where my mum was.

"Because I got a phone call, informing me that my bloody boyfriend crashed into a tree because he was drunk driving!" She was furious, I could tell. But she was also grateful that I was okay, and so she wasn't letting go of my hand anytime soon. I didn't want her to.

"You just said 'bloody'," I remarked, referring to her use of British slang. I've been slowly corrupting her with my British ways.

"Yeah, no pun intended," she rolled her eyes, using her one hand that wasn't holding mine to wipe her eyes. "You're a fucking ass, honestly. Gave me a heart attack."

"I'm sorry," I frowned, knowing that I really shouldn't have done what I did. I've always been against driving drunk, but my mind couldn't think straight, and I did it regardless. Not only did I put my own life in danger, but I put those around me in danger, and that wasn't alright. I'm just thankful that I hit a tree, and not another driver.

"You do realize the last time I've been in a hospital was for Aster? It was the same fucking situation, we didn't know if he was ever going to wake up, and he didn't. You made me do it again, Harry. They didn't know if you were going wake up or be in a coma. That isn't fair, why would you do this to me?"

Her knuckles were turning white with how hard she was holding my hand, but I didn't care. I welcomed the pain. Rather than pulling my hand away, I latched on tighter to hers, pulling her up into the bed with me. It was hard for me to move, and very painful, but I did it regardless, and soon she was curled up next to me.

"I'm so sorry, Gardenia. I wasn't thinking, I was being an idiot," I stated, holding her tightly in my arms. I couldn't believe she flew back for me. She came back from Florida just because I was in the hospital. Maybe I've been underestimating her feelings. Maybe I've been overreacting.