May 28th, 2015

Chapter 17

We were laying on her bed in her room. Today was the first day that I've been here since the time I brought her the present, and I was surprised that my card was still on display on her dresser, and the gardenias I got her were still on her nightstand, complete with the black leather pot. I smiled at the fact that she kept them on display in her room, although I doubt anybody came in here often, it was still heartwarming.

She was half a credit away from officially getting her diploma, and it was a difficult class, Chemistry. She dropped out her junior year, which I didn't know what that was considering our schooling system was completely different, but she explained that it was the second to last year before she graduated. She finished half of the Chemistry class while in school, but she had to do the other half online because she quit halfway through the year. Anyways, she hated the class and saved it for last, and now she had three days left before it had to be finished. If she didn't complete the class, she wouldn't be able to graduate and all of this work she went through was for nothing. The problem was, she has very little done to begin with, and now she's struggling to get it all done in time.

"I fucking hate this class! Honestly, who needs to know this stuff?"

"Well, you're gonna be a vet. I think a lot of this information might be kind of important in the future?"

"I don't need to know the atomic mass of every fucking element in order to take care of animals."

"Yeah, but you're gonna have to deal with medicines and anesthesia, when you're taking care of animals. And you'll need to figure out the correct doses of everything, and that involves chemistry."

"You're right, but my God, this class sucks."

"Well at least you got all of the labs done. You only have quizzes left, right?"

"Yeah, the labs were the easiest part. But I know nothing about chemistry, so how am I going to do the quizzes?"

"Here, let me help you."

She looked at me worriedly, since I wasn't much help with her Algebra 2 class, but I was actually good at Chemistry in school. It was always interesting to me, so I figured I could help her out a little bit.

So that's what we did for the remainder of the night. We read through the sections together, and she told me when she was confused, and I explained to her what everything meant. She wrote down notes, saying that it helped her remember the information better, and she took the quizzes. When she was done, I checked the answers before she submitted it, and was happily surprised each time when she got every one correct.

She wasn't finished with the class yet, but she got a good portion of it done today, and we still had two days ahead of us. I was confident she would get it finished.

It was midnight now, and we were just laying in the dark now. She just put her laptop away, claiming her brain was way too exhausted to input any more information, and we could continue tomorrow. I didn't mind, I was quite tired myself.

"Do you want to go home?" She asked. I could tell she meant it genuinely, asking me what I wanted to do. She wasn't trying to kick me out.

"Not really," I responded honestly, and she was quiet for a moment.

"I don't want you to either."

"Good," I answered, and I heard her sigh out. Not a bad sigh though, it was more like a content one.

"Thank you for helping me," she whispered, and I smiled to myself, remembering that time almost two months ago when she wouldn't even say 'thank you' to me for holding the door open for her, or for the waiter bringing her food. So much has changed since I first moved here.