The Pregnancy Club - Chapter 34

Start from the beginning

We had finally finished, earlier than we had predicted and our creations varied from cake, pie, brownies, cookies, cupcakes, muffins and strudels.

"Okay, now we need to decide how much we're charging for everything." Chastity said, pulling out her notebook.

Suddenly I remembered that we wouldn't be selling these until Tuesday. "Um, Chastity? Shouldn't we be serving these fresh?" I asked, Chastity's face froze.

"Oh, you're right. Nobody wants to buy cold pie." Chastity tapped her forehead with her pencil, trying to think of what to do now. "Well, there's only one thing to do. We'll have to clear our scheduales and meet up tomorrow. Is that a problem for anyone?"

Everyone was silent. "Um, nobody really has much of a scheduale when they're pregnant." Tanya said and Chastity blushed.

"I suppose you're right. Okay, nine a.m. we meet up in front of Walmart. I'll bring the chairs, Flame you design the signs, Aimee you bring the cakes, Sadie, bring some folding tables and Tanya . . . bring Kyle. It'll look more believable that way."Chastity instructed, scribbling all of this down in her notebook.

I raised my hand. "Um, I don't own any folding tables." Chastity blew some hair out of her face.

"It's okay, I do. Just drive by my house with your pickup truck because it's the only thing that can hold them. Y'all are dismissed." Chastity stated, standing up and marching out the door.

"Who knew Chastity was such a buisness woman." I said.

"At least you don't have to live with her." Flame grumbled, grabbing her bag and following Chastity.

Soon everyone left Aimee's mansion, standing outside for a moment to admire its white brick exterior and iron balconies.

                                                            *                       *                    *

"Interested in buying some brownies?" Chastity asked a woman who was walking into Walmart. She took one look at us, sniffed, and then moved on. "Ugh, it's like people immediatley label us because we are pregnant or mothers."

Buisness had been slow so far. We had sold two brownies, five cookies and one slice of pumpkin pie. Which meant that we had yet to raise, three hundred twenty dollars.

"Are these homemade?" And old lady was inspecting the toffee cake.

"Yes, all of them are homemade. And very good, I may add." Chastity slided in beside of old lady, bringing out a sample of the toffee cake. "Here, try this." She held up the small sliver of cake to the old lady and a plastic fork. She carefully chewed, her lips making thwapping sounds as she smacked the toffee.

"Mmmm, just like my mother used to make." The old woman said, closing her eyes. "I'll buy the whole cake."

"Oh, thank you so much, ma'am." She walked over to the cash register and took the woman's money, and then handed her the box of cake. As the old lady began to leave, she looked over at Tanya, who was holding Kyle in her lap.

"So nice to see young girls taking care of their younger siblings." She murmured as she entered Walmart. Tanya looked confused.

"She thought that Kyle was your little brother." Aimee explained. 

"Eh, whatever gets us money." Tanya shrugged.

Time passed by and more people were entering Walmart, especially mothers with young children. They were our big customers. All it took was one meltdown in front of Walmart because of being denied a cookie, and they were reeled in. One particularly large man bought five brownies, one of each, and three pieces of pie, blueberry, lemon meringue and pumpkin. 

The samples were working too. People took one taste of our baking and they fell in love. Obviously they were better than they all thought.

The muffins were a big seller too. Joggers and people on health kicks bought our carrot or bran muffins, preaching about iron and protein.

By the end of the day, we had made two hundred forty eight dollars, which meant we needed one hundred more dollars.

"Oh no, we didn't make enough." Chastity slumped down in her chair.

"It's okay Chas, we could always pitch in twenty dollars." Aimee offered, pulling her wallet out of her purse and handing over twenty.

"Yeah, sure. That way we can buy it now." Tanya said, handing over twenty, then Flame, then Chastity. Soon everyone was looking at me.

"Um, sorry, but unlike you guys I don't carry around a wallet or money." I said sheepishly. I hated looking so poor in front of them.

"It's okay, I'll pay for you." Aimee grabbed another twenty from her wallet.

"Okay . . . but I promise I'll pay you back."

"Oh don't worry about it." I scowled. As thankful as I was, I also hated when Aimee accidentally flaunted her riches.

                                                     *                      *                   *

We bought the laptop that we had seen on the Internet, and now we were sitting in the back of my dad's pickup, eating the leftovers.

"Mm, these brownies are awesome." Flame said as she sunk her teeth into the moist brownies.

"Thank you, I actually managed to cook something without using a toaster." I smiled, proud of myself, and everyone burst out laughing. 

After everyone had calmed down, Chastity spoke. "So, we'll give Jen the laptop at the next Pregnancy Club meeting, and I'll wrap it myself. She's going to love it!" The stress had left Chastity and had been replaced by excitement. She passed around some Macadamia Nut cookies, then held hers up in the air.

"A toast, to a sucessful bake sale, and these delicious cookies." Chastity chuckled, and we all toasted our cookies, sitting in my dad's pickup truck in the middle of the Walmart parking lot.

Weird was normal for teenage mothers.