Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

Brook had been red as a tomato when we left and she’d shot me a very dark glare on the way out, I’d just shrugged and kissed her neck.

She’d forgiven me rather quickly actually, but I think that had something to do with the fact we were on our way to the first of the three views.

“I don’t know what these places will look like,” I told her now and she nodded before smiling over at me.

“At least we’re looking though,” she said now and I nodded, knowing she was right. We’d talked about this last night; even if one of the apartments today were no good, there would be more.

We were looking for a looking for a two bedroom place with at least a living room/dining room plus a kitchen and bathroom.

We could afford around £550 per month.

Yet having spoken to the estate agents yesterday, I knew I had to have a deposit and a month’s rent up front, so you were looking at around £1,100 altogether for the first month and then they had started going into credit checks, which you had to pay for, per person and there was, apparently, no guarantee you’d pass. But I knew both mine and Brook’s credit was perfect as it can be at our age.

“Here we are,” I said now as I pulled up outside the first apartment.

I look at the area around us and it’s not great but it isn’t awful.

Slipping out the car, I waiting until Brook was out before we headed over to Nick, who was the estate agent showing us around all three properties today.

“Hi, you must be Jack Morgan and this beauty must be Brook Jones?” he guessed now as he held out his hand. We shook it.

 It was amazing how many people we didn’t know in town! I had never met Nick in my life! Then again, his face looked familiar and we were slightly out of town, it was around a fifteen minute drive to college from here.

“That’s us, you’re Nick Kelly?” I asked now and he nodded.

“That’s me alright! So you guys ready to see the first apartment?” he asked now. He was around his mid twenties, dark brown hair and tall but thin.

We headed into the building, which wasn’t the cleanest and up five levels, which we had to take by stairs. By the time we reached the top, Brook was out of breath and I had to laugh.

“Yeah, so funny. I am pregnant here,” she snapped now and I smile as Nick grinned brightly.

“Congratulations! When is the new addition due then?” he asked with a smile and Brook blushed. It’s really the first person we have told, other than the doctor.

“The baby is due April 5th,” I said now proudly.

I couldn’t help myself, I was so proud of Brook and in a way, myself. We had somehow managed to create a tiny little thing, a human being. We were having a baby.

I couldn’t help sometimes wondering if it would be as beautiful as Brook, with her green eyes and brown hair and cream skin, or if it would have my eyes and her hair. Whose features would the baby have? I hoped hers, but no matter what, I knew this baby would be perfect.

“I wish you guys the best then. My wife and I have two twins and let me tell you, if they aren’t running around like little demons, then they’re fighting with each other and eating their way through the house,” Nick said, but he spoke affectionately and I could hear the pride in his own voice when he spoke of his children.

Maybe it was a guy thing.

“Right, let’s get this show on the road then,” Nick said as he opened the door for us and we all entered.