Chapter Twenty-Three

Jack’s POV:

All day yesterday, while Brook was out shopping, I had been working at Luke’s Garage. He’d given me a job there four days a week and though the money wasn’t amazing, it was enough to get by on when we got ourselves a place.

I loved the job, I loved the work. I had been studying engineering at college for a while and I’d always had a love of cars and bikes.

I had plans of owning my own place one day and even though I knew we, Brook, the baby and I wouldn’t have that much to live on, I’d try my very best to make it work and to make sure Brook and the baby had everything they could ever need or want.

We may not be able to live in a huge house with a loud of money and send the baby to private school, but I’d make sure we had enough. A house, even if it was small, it would be nice and even though I couldn’t give us a lot of money, I’d make sure everyone was feed and clothed and happy.

            I looked at Brook quickly, taking my eyes off the road for a second, to see she was smiling gently; her eyes closed as the sun came in through the window and warmed her beautiful face.

I put my eyes back to the road and took the turn I knew we needed to take.

            After work yesterday, I’d made an appointment for Brook to see the doctor and I’d also booked a few viewings, three to be exact. All apartments, because that was all we could afford at this moment in time, but I knew Brook was excited about looking around for our own place.

            We’d just left the doctors, who had confirmed the pregnancy and gave us all the relative information that we needed. We’d driven an hour out of town; to an unknown doctor’s surgery because in our town, the doctor wouldn’t have thought about patient confidentiality and the news would have spread like a damn cold!

“You ok, love?” I asked now.

“Yeah, just tired,” she yawned and I smiled.

I think I’d given the doctor a headache, asking all these different questions, such as:

“When will we need to come back?”

“When the baby is around three months, then you’ll have the first scan.”

“Is there anything she shouldn’t be doing?”

“Not smoking or drinking is helpful as it is harmful to the baby. Try not to lift heavy things, just be careful of your stomach. Although the baby is safely tucked away, there is still some getting used to the idea of protecting the little thing.”

“What should she be eating?”

“When you leave, just ask the receptionist for a nutritional guide; that will give you all the information on that.”

“What about a midwife, will she get one of those?”

“Yes, we’ll assign her a midwife at her next scan.”

“Is that normal?”

“Yes,” the doctor had laughed at me for that question.

Yet my favourite question I had saved till last, knowing it would change that irritated expression on Brook’s face into one of mortification...

“Can we still make love while she’s pregnant?”

Brook had gasped a loud at that one and then covered her face with her hands as she blushed bright red.

The doctor laughed and then smiled, even when Brook told him, he didn’t have to answer that question.

“Yes,” had been his answer and then he had gone into great detail with me and we’d been talking about everything you could talk about when talking about sex.