Chapter Four

Brook’s POV:

We were late for class, but lucky for us, so was the teacher. We’d gotten away with it, but only just.

It felt like old times, Jack and I always used to be late, not matter how hard we tried, we could just, never seem to make this class on time.

Our English Lit teacher had given up on us in the end and he’d have a frown on his face before class even started.

            Since I started dating Rick, Jack and I had drifted apart and on some level, I wanted to redeem what had once been mine, but I knew I couldn’t.

Jack pulled the chair back next to me and sat down. I suppressed a smile as he winked.

Our English Lit teacher, Mr Hendricks, had split us up in class, because he said, we disturbed the class.

But that had all been months ago, nearly a year had passed since then. Jack and I had taken to sitting in different seats and it was sort of nice, him sitting next to me again.

A few glances our way and a few groans. I don’t know what was up with them, we weren’t that bad!

Ok, so I’d stabbed him with my pen once, but that was by accident, and he had shoved me off my seat, that had been him though, not me... and as for the whole chewing gum mattered in that girls hair... it really had been an accident.

I had choked and it had shot out my mouth, lodged into the girl’s head and then she had started screaming and clawing at her head. So technically, she had matted her hair, herself. And it had been Jack’s fault I had choked in the first place.

Nevertheless... “Move seats,” Mr Hendricks ordered as soon as he stepped into the room and spotted us at the back of the classroom.

“Mr Hendricks, give us one chance, please,” Jack surprised me by saying, “I know we don’t have a great... record, but we’re older now and we understand that what we did was wrong. I swear to you, it will never happen again,” I bit my lip and nodded.

“One chance,” Mr Hendricks snapped and Jack grinned once his back was turned.

Everyone dashed for seats that were as far from us as possible, but the class was full, so sadly for the little freckled guy and the very nervous looking girl, they had to sit at the desks in front of us.

But, seriously, we weren’t going to mess around, we have grown up a lot since then.

Jack grinned and looked ahead, watching as Mr Hendricks wrote on the board and I rolled my eyes, at least, I hope we’d grown up a lot since then.

·       

            Class went by fast and we hadn’t gotten into any trouble. Mr Hendricks even nodded to us as we left.

“I’m late for practice, I’ll see you later,” Jack muttered now and ran off before I could say anything.

“Brook, babe,” Rick smiled as I left the college building.

“Rick, you ok?” I said now as he pressed a kiss to my mouth and ran his tongue along my lips. I kissed him back, even though my thoughts were on Jack.

It made me feel wrong, to kiss one guy, while thinking about another, but my mind wandered and I couldn’t stop it.

“Did you just say, Jack?” Rick demanded as he pulled back.

Shit, did I?

“Yeah, I was trying to tell you that... Jack is going to give me a lift home after practice,” I lied quickly and Rick frowned.