Chapter 55

The rest of the day I spent far from my house. I was avoiding it. I didn't want to be anywhere near it. But as the hours ticked by and the sun went down I reluctantly drove back.

Walking down the hallway that connected the garage to the house I was lost in my own thoughts that I didn't see him.

" You look miserable." Stephan stated.

" That must please you." I said.

" You think that low of me?" He rose a brow.

" Shut up. You know it's true. I mean you hate me. This must all be Christmas to you."

" On the contrary. Recent events have lead me to see how wrong I was to hate you. That I why I am apologizing for past actions."

" Really?" I say surprised. " Well apology accepted."

" Alright. That is all I have to say." He's about to walk away when he turns to me once again. " And Catalina if you are smart. You'll let Dimitri and your sister be happy. They are expecting a kid. Let them raise that child together." With that he walked off.

Staring at the spot he just stood I can't help but shake my head. Even Stephan wants me to keep away from Dimitri and my sister. He wants me to let them be. To raise the child together. A kid who-

" Cat?" Thinking of one of the Devils. Dimitri now stood at the end of the hallway. A confused look in his eyes as he looked at me. "What are you doing?" He asked.

Staring at him I felt tears sting my eyes. I felt myself slowly breaking. I wanted to tell him so many things. Except I just cleared it all away.

" Oh I was just heading back to Salems. I forgot something over there." Without saying anything else I left back to the garage. Dimitri followed after me.

" Cat wait!" I'm about to open the car door.

" Dimitri really I-"

" I'm sorry!" He blurted.

Blinking I looked at him curiously.

" What?"

" I'm sorry ahead of time for what I'm about to tell you."

Uh oh. By the look in his eyes I knew that the storm is just hitting.

" Tell me what?" I asked.

" I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I am unconditionally in love with you. I'm sorry that we can't be together. I'm sorry that you can't return the love I have for you. I'm sorry for everything you've been through. I'm sorry that you've gotten the worse end of the stick. I'm sorry that at the end we can't be together. I'm sorry that our life wasn't a romance movie and we weren't together in the end. I'm sorry that fate didn't make us work out. I'm sorry for everything Catalina." He said with tears brimming his eyes.

For the forth time in my life I felt my heart breaking fully. I felt now the part of me still painfully holding onto Dimitri breaking. I felt it turn to dust and blow away.

It hurt. It hurts a lot. My chest feels tight. My eyes are watering and before I can help it the tears are making paths down my face.

" Catalina I'm sorry but-" I hold up a hand to stop him from coming to me.

" No Dimitri. It's me who should be sorry. I'm sorry that it took me this long to realize that I do love you but not in the way you loved me. I'm sorry but I was never going to be able to return your love back to you. I'm sorry but we were never going to work out. Even if fate had us cross our paths once again but we were never going to work out. Even if if we tried we never were. We ended way before I left you. I see it now. And that is way I am sorry Dimitri that it took this long. It took everything that's happened for me to realize." I finished and stared at Dimitri who nodded. A tear ran down his face.

" Fate. Funny huh? Catalina I'm glad we got this out. Now more then ever since Isis and I are having a kid."

The kid is his then.

" So am I." I said.

" And I wanted to tell you before you heard from someone else that I'm leaving. We're leaving. We're moving to France. That's where I belong."

" Oh. When?"

" After Christmas."

" My sister must be excited."

" Yes she is."

" Well good luck. I hope the two of you are very happy together." I force the words.

" Thanks and Catalina I wish you the best."

Giving me one last look Dimitri walks away. Once the door shut closed after him a sob left my throat. With my body shaking I fell onto the ground and cried.