45

Demi's POV

Stay calm, just stay calm.

I knew I couldn't just jump to conclusions, but this seriously had me worried. I wanted to check on her, just to make sure she wasn't hurting herself.

I don't think I could ever forgive myself if I let that happen.

I heard her water turn off, and it wasn't long before she came out with her hair wrapped in a towel. She was wearing pajama pants and a sweater.

Has she been wearing sweaters more often?

I never noticed it until now.

"Hungry?" I asked, trying to keep calm.

"Not really," she said.

"Really? It's afternoon, and you haven't eaten all day."

"Well I just woke up," she pointed out.

"Why don't you try to eat something," I suggested. I made her a bowl of cereal and brought it back to her. I handed it to her, not letting her have a choice on eating or not.

That can't be true, either.

We sat on the couch together and I turned on the TV. I anxiously waited for her to finish eating.

I was terrified of this conversation we were about to have, but I knew it had to be discussed.

I had just prayed this day would never come.

After she was done, she started to stand up. "I get it," I said, taking her bowl to the kitchen and setting it in the sink.

"Thanks," she mumbled, turning her attention back to the TV, in which I turned off when I got back to the couch. She have me a confused look as I slept sat back down.

"Kenzie, I have a very serious question. It's extremely important that you answer it truthfully," I began. "I'm not going to get upset with you. I care very much about you, and I'm here if you ever need anything at all. I'm always here for you. I love you more than you could ever imagine, and nothing can ever change that." Her face was full of nervousness. I took a deep breath as I reached into my pocket and very carefully wrapped my hand around the blade. I held out my hand and opened my palm. "What is this?"

She stared at it for a while before shrugging. "I don't know."

"I found it on your bathroom sink."

"Oh," she said quickly. "Oh yeah, I was getting a new razor head, since I was sure my other one wouldn't be able to handle another shave. As I was trying to attach it, I accidentally dropped it and it broke. I thought I had cleaned it up, but I guess I missed one," she ranted.

I wasn't sure.

"And that's the truth?" I asked cautiously.

She slowly nodded. "Yup."

I looked down and paused for a moment, thinking about what to do next. I wasn't quite sure if I believed her or not.

Finally, I spoke again. "Let me see your wrists."

"My wrists?" She asked nervously, the reaction I really didn't want.

"Mmhmm," I said with a slight nod.

"Mom, I'm not-"

"Kenzie, just let me see your wrists."

She slowly started to bring one up, and I gently took it. I started to roll up her sleeve with a sick feeling in my stomach.

Clean. Not a single mark.

"The other one," I said, pointing to her other hand. She held that one out, and I pulled up the sleeve to look.

That one was clean, too.

"See?" She responded.

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"I'm-I'm sorry," I said quickly. "I just-" I looked at my daughter in the eyes. "I just get so worried sometimes."

"It's okay," she said as she wrapped her arms around my neck. "I'm okay."

I nodded and fought back the tears.

I'm so happy I was wrong.