26

Kenzie's POV

The week went by so quickly. We are getting ready for our Christmas performance for choir, which is coming up in just a few months.

Conner always talks to me during our last class, and I think I'm getting less awkward. I have to admit, I have developed a crush. He says things to me that make me think he likes me back. He flirts all the time. But we're just in middle school. Middle school relationships don't mean anything.

Friday, when Mom picked me up, my face was still red from Conner telling me that I was Beautiful. "You look flustered," Mom said. I just giggled. She gasped. "My baby girl has a crush!"

"No," I said with another giggle.

"Who is it? Point him out," she said looking through all of the windows.

I pointed to him. "The one with the blue backpack."

"Oh, he is cute. You two would make the most adorable couple!"

"Mom, you're getting too excited. I don't even know if he likes me back."

"Well apparently he said something. Your face looks like a tomato," she teased. We drove off, and back home. I did my homework, there wasn't much to do, then watched TV with Mom. I didn't even realize I had drifted off to sleep.

"Kenzie," my dad said with his voice that made my stomach turn. "Come on out, my little Kenzie." I was hiding under my bed, hoping he wouldn't find me. I shut my eyes, keeping them closed tightly as I listen to his footsteps on the creaking floor. They were getting closer, and I was sure he could hear my heartbeat. I opened my eyes, and saw his feet. He was standing right beside the bed. "I just want to play a game." He started to get in his knees, and I scooted as far away as I could, but his arms were long enough to reach me. His big hand wrapped around my ankle, and he pulled me out from under the bed.

Demi's POV

We were sitting on the couch watching TV. I didn't even notice that Kenzie fell asleep until I heard her. "Stop!" She yelled.

"Kenzie," I said gently as I nudged her. She started to whimper, and I knew I had to wake her up. "Kenzie, baby it's Mommy. Wake up, Kenzie." I teared rolled down her face as she continued to whimper. Her eyes were shut tightly. I got her into my lap, and held her as I slowly rocked from side to side.

I felt her jerk awake, and she tried to squirm away. "Stop," she cried as she tried to get away.

"Shhh, Kenzie, it's me."

Se looked up at me, and broke down crying again. "Mommy," she said as she clung tightly to me.

"I'm here, baby girl."

"Why does it keep happening?"

That was a question I couldn't answer.

I just held her while continuing to calm her down. I'm really worried about what's going on with my little Kenzie.