1

Demi's POV

"Morning, sweetie," I said as my twelve year old came down the stairs. Kenzie shuffled her feet into the room, joined me on the couch, and laid her head in my lap. "How'd you sleep?" I asked while running my hand through her hair.

"Good," she mumbled. "What are you watching?"

"Reruns of Friends," I answered. "Are you hungry yet?" She just shrugged. She really never cares about anything in the morning. "Well, I don't want to cook."

"Don't ask me to," Kenzie said.

"Want to go somewhere?"

"Where?"

"Where do you think?" I asked. I always know where she wants to go to eat. It's been her favorite since I got her seven years ago.

"I'll go get dressed," Kenzie said, already knowing where we were going.

I followed her up the stairs, then we both separated into our separate rooms. I threw on some black skinny jeans and a black and white band T. I slipped on my black combat boots, and went into my bathroom to do my hair. I just brushed it and put it up in a pony tail. I put on some very light make up, then left my room. I walked down the hall until I was right in front of Kenzie's door. I knocked, and without waiting for a reply, called out, "Kenzie, are you almost ready?"

Seconds later, her door opened up. "Yes," she answered. She had on dark blue skinny jeans and a plain light blue T-shirt with a white zip-up hoodie on top. She always wears some type of sweater or jacket. She's always been that way. She gets cold so easily.

"Alright, come on," I chirped as we walked down the stairs together.

"Shot gun!" Kenzie calls as we race to my car. I laugh at her eagerness as we both get in the car.

"What are you getting?" I asked.

"Mom, what do I always get in the morning?"

"I know, I know, strawberry pancakes."

"With extra whipped cream," she adds with a smile, which I happily return.

We make the short drive to the little diner, the first place Kenzie and I ever went to together. We didn't have to wait long to be seated. The place is never very busy. It's always nice and quiet, which we love. We were seated at the table that we always get, way in the back with not very many other tables around.

"What can I get you two to drink?" The waitress asked.

"I'll have water," I answered.

"Orange juice, please," Kenzie says.

"Okay, I'll be right back with those."

"I'm so hungry," I say to Kenzie.

"Me, too," she responds. "I'm ready for some pancakes."

Shortly after, our drinks are brought. "Okay, are you ready to order?"

"Kenzie, go ahead," I say, taking one last look through the menu. We've been here so many times, I should have this memorized.

"Can I have the strawberry pancakes?" Kenzie asked. The waitress nodded, writing on her notepad. "With extra whipped cream?"

The waitress smiled at my daughter. "Of course." Then she turned to look at me. "And for you?"

"I'll get the regular buttermilk pancakes with hash browns," I answered.

"Would you like extra whipped cream for those pancakes?" The waitress asked with a smile.

My daughter and I exchanged smiles. "Sure, why not?"

"Okay, I'll be right back with those."

All through breakfast, Kenzie and I just talked about today's plans. The only problem was I had nothing in mind.

"So what do you want to do?" I asked as we were finishing up our breakfast.

"I don't know. Can we just walk around the mall again? We don't have to get anything, I just like looking around," Kenzie answered.

"Of course. I like just walking around."