chapter 12

Zay's POV

I can barely pay attention to my father. All of my senses are on Amber. I feel like she awakened some part of me.

"Well. You obviously changed your mind about staying low at school," he starts.

I stare at him wordlessly. I can still taste her delicious lips on mine.

"And not getting involved with girls? What happened to that?" he asks.

I can still hear her breaths and heartbeat from here.

"Fine, different subject. Why do I smell him? It reeks of his foulness, and he's unwelcome here."

Her smell hasn't left my nose since she walked in.

"Zyler, are you listening to me?"

And god, I can still feel her. Her small body, as if she is still right next to me.

"Zyler."

Her soft tongue...

"Son!!" my father growls.

I look at him in awe. He never yells at me. "Sorry, I'm a little distracted..."

"Yes, and I understand that. But for at least five minutes, I need you to focus completely on me."

"Ok, ok. What...his smell? Oh. He uh.. I think. He was here." I struggle to talk and concentrate on the question. "He broke in. And he asked where the rest of us were. I don't know what his aim to do is."

"What did you say to that?" My dad is on alert now.

"I didn't respond. I told him to stay away from Amber..."

Anger and lust filled me again. Anger at Ryder for touching her and lust for, well you know. For Amber.

"Ok, what else?" he says trying to keep me on track.

"Uh, he said he'll be back. I'm worried dad."

"Why, son?"

"He saw, or felt, how I feel towards Amber. He's going to use that against me, he'll just repeat history."

When a werewolf feels a certain way strongly or a certain emotion overrules the rest, other surrounding wolves can usually sense it.

And as protective as I felt of her yesterday, there's no way he could have missed it.

"I cant lie, that's a possibility. But you'll make sure that won't happen now won't you?"

"Yeah, I will. Mom would be proud of me."

My dad's eyes glow, and rage sweeps from him to me for a few seconds. He must be remembering what happened to her. I quickly change the subject.

"Hey so about what you were saying before. I know you sorta saw that. In there, a couple minutes ago."

He chuckles. "Yes, indeed I did."

I scratch the back of my neck. "I tried. I really did. Humans aren't hard for me to ignore. But this one, I don't know. It feels different. I couldn't ignore her from the moment we first spoke.

"I tried shutting her out when she came too close to learning our secret, but that only lasted a few hours. That's why she knows now. I can't keep my damn mouth shut, or keep her out of danger."

He just looks at me knowingly. "I can't help you with that. I'm going to let you deal with this yourself. Just trust your feelings, even if it's not the human side your trusting."

"Ok." I have no idea what that means.

"I'm going to alert some of the wolves we keep in touch with." He gets up and I do the same.

"Do we know where the last alpha pack is?"

"It's more complicated than that. All of the werewolves that are left have gathered at a place. They can't be called a pack because there's no alpha. Our dwindling number isn't even close to that problem." He has a grave look on his face.

"Wait, no Alpha? How is that possible?" I ask, astonished.

"When the Decreasing happened. There have been rumors that a possible Alpha died in his mothers womb. So there may not be any Alphas left. We have been searching for close to a year. The Wolf gods are showing wrath towards us."

I process this. This is really bad. If we don't have an Alpha to guide the werewolves, chaos will break loose. "Do you think Ryder knows that?"

"I suspect that he does. But there's no way to tell." He walks to our brand new front door. "Go fill in Amber. I think she'll need to be backed up if she's staying with us."

I widen my eyes. Oh shit, I'm going to be with Amber 24/7. "Uh, oh. Kay."

I don't miss the little smirk my dad has on his face before he walks out.