chapter 49

"Dude, I think you dating Zyler caused a lot of people to notice our little group. I can't even tell you half the names of the people that said hi to me and Max today," Savannah says as we walk to history.

"Yeah, I've gotten that a lot since I started talking to him."

"At least it's not negative attention."

"For you," I retort thinking of the daily glares I get from girls.

"Eh, you learn to ignore them. But, this new publicity is sure to get me more votes."

"True that. On your way to becoming a queen."

"Lies. She was born a queen," says Ethan, appearing on her other side.

She kisses his cheek. "And I'll have a fine king by my side."

"Couldn't offer anything else," he shrugs happily.

"Speaking of, do you have your attire for the evening?"

"Yeah, don't worry babe. Me and the guys were gonna pick our suits up today."

This peaks my interest. "Zay too?"

"Yeah, and Max. We're going after school," he replies. That means I'll get to see him in his suit today, as long as I can convince him to let me peek.

"All right, got to go catch you guys later," Ethan says as we get to our class.

They give each other a quick hug and me and Savannah find a spot to sit.

"So, anything exciting happen with the you know who situation?" Savannah asks.

"No, actually. Something did happen though."

I fill her in on the latest, telling her about Dasia being my new bodyguard.

"Wow. At least she's not a crazy killer."

"Yeah don't need anymore of that in my life."

She stops talking and just looks at me, an out of the ordinary thing for her.

"What?"

"Nothing," she says, her tone more downcast. "I just feel really bad for you. You deserve to be happy without having a body guard around you all the time."

"Yeah. I think I can get used to it if it means being able to be with Zay."

She puts get hands on my shoulders and squeezes them gently. "But girl, you're really strong for handling all of this. I know I couldn't.

I smile. "Thanks Sav."

She sighs dramatically. "What are the chances that he'll just forget about all of this and leave?"

"Sadly, I don't think the world ending would make him forget," I say with a defeated smile.

"Welp, there goes that idea."

The teacher calls out to the class and we go through a whole lecture on the medieval time period. I keep myself awake by watching Savannah entertain herself by throwing paper balls at Brady's head. He ignores her, but it's evident how much it bothered him by the way he speeds out of the class as soon as it's over.

"Jeez he acts like I was physically hurting him," Savannah says as we follow him out the door.

"One soul can only put up with so much."

We round the corner and to our dismay see Lola and her group lingering in the middle of the hall.

"Ugh. There's no way we're escaping that is there," Savannah asks as more of a statement.